Gas Station location found!!!

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
phillykid

Gas Station location found!!!

Post by phillykid »

Just found the gas station where the Rogues pull up and Luther is seen talking in a phone booth.  It's actually an old auto repair shop that used to sell gas, but the pumps are now gone, but it looks pretty much the same as it did in the movie.  Its located on the Northwest corner of Great Jones St. and Bowery St.  in Downtown Manhattan in an area known as NOHO (North of Houston St.)  I was told by a source that the exterior of the Lizzies apartment may also be in that same area, but I couldn't find it when I was down there recently.

Lion

Re: Gas Station location found!!!

Post by Lion »

Neat, try to take pictures if you can.
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/METALTANK/squares.jpg[/img]

Gezza

Post by Gezza »

Lion wrote: Neat, try to take pictures if you can.
Yeah i would love to see what it looks like now.
Please get a picture  8)
Last edited by Gezza on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Gezza01/fableandhalogezzado.jpg[/img]
[color=red]That that dont kill me can only make me stronger.[/color]

Riff

Post by Riff »

Some pictures would be cool.

I'm hopefully going to NYC later this year i'm gonna have to check out some of the spots in the movie.
Who are The Warriors, there must be some word...

phillykid

Post by phillykid »

Didn't get a chance to take any pictures when I was down there, but i will definately get some and post it here, in the meantime there is a link you can log on to that shows what the auto repair shop looks like now it is:  Bowery GJ_01a.jpg  There is a developer who was trying to tear the place down and build a condo there, let's hope not.

canyoucount

Post by canyoucount »

That's just a few blocks from the candystore.  While we're waiting for pics, just go to Googlemaps and look for that intersection. For a street view, click on the gold man, drag him to that spot, let go, pan around until hit that little corner with cars parked around it.  That's were we heard, at the very end of that scene, that one Rogue say, "hey man!" as if Andre the Giant were sitting on his back.

oh,oh, forgot....
so, phillykid, how'djuh find ad'bout this location?
"Look at me!  I'm the one who did this to you!  Remember me."

"You didn't walk with Jojo, you walked among him.  If you stared at him long enough, you could watch him grow fatter by the hour."

Gezza

Post by Gezza »

cool im loading up google maps now i love using street view its the shiz :P
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Gezza01/fableandhalogezzado.jpg[/img]

phillykid

Post by phillykid »

In response to canyoucount's question about how I found out the location of the gas station, I actually sent an e-mail to John Snyder, who played the gas station attendant, you can barely see him when Luther and the rest of the Rogues all pile into the roguemobile and is credited as gas station man in the end credits, and he e-mailed me back and told me about the exact spot.  As I stated in my earlier post this location may not be there very much longer, since a developer wants to build a condominium on that site, so try to get down there as quick as you can.

canyoucount

Post by canyoucount »

Yeah, I hoid dat. Even though NY is a short trip up the pike for me, gotta watch my dough.  Hope I get up there soon.  Prawwwgress!  well, that's always inevitable in major cities.

Cool that John got back tuh yuh.

"You didn't walk with Jojo, you walked among him.  If you stared at him long enough, you could watch him grow fatter by the hour."

canyoucount

Post by canyoucount »

Even though I've got a money situation, I said "screw it" and went to NY yesterday.  Went to Bowery and Great Jones, and it's still there (thought it would be).  Boy, it's a way smaller spot than the movie makes it.  Got my pics and I want to post them, but I'm still in the Dark Ages about computers. :x

Gezza

Post by Gezza »

look up for a guide on the internet so you can get them pics up :P

phillykid

Post by phillykid »

I'm glad that you got a chance to get down there and get some photos canyoucount.  I still haven't had a chance to get any photos myself.  I'm still on my search for Lizzies hangout, I'm almost sure that it's in that area because of the architecure of the buildings down there in the East Village, look a lot like the doorway that they walk into.  I'm looking for the exterior of the Lizzie's apartment, I think the interior may have been filmed elsewhere.  I also read one of the old blogs that the Baseball Furies hangout (the building where they come up the steps and grab their bats) may also be down in that area.

The Fox

Post by The Fox »

Hey Guys good work.

I found the candy shop a while back as i talked with the Ginny Ortiz, I couldn't find the garage and Latem and myself went on a wild goose chase to a Cesars Garage in Queens last year.

I have found the location of the lizzies hangout (99.9% sure) i'm just doing some more research first.

Peace.
Last edited by The Fox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center][img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/images/thefox.jpg[/img][/align]

HIGH HAT

Post by HIGH HAT »

More Location photos today? would like to see more.
cant get over the ones a few months back of the cemetery and the "nowhere to run" shots.
keep them coming boppers
When the Dead Have RISEN..

There are some Things More Important Than Survival......
(RISENTHEMOVIE.COM)

RISENTHEMOVIE.COM

phillykid

Post by phillykid »

Way to go Fox on finding out where the Lizzies hangout is located, that's one that I have been working on for a while.  I'll bet that it's in downtown Manhattan around the East Village where the candy store and gas station are at.