David Shaber

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

David Shaber

Post by War Chief »

It is with regret that I inform you that I have had an unconfirmed report that David Shaber, who wrote the screenplay for The Warriors, and who was helping write the screenplay for the 2010 movie The Warriors, has passed away. Please find this statement from his daughter on Amazon (thanks to James Lada for making me aware of this).

I'm David Shaber's daughter, Sam, (Samantha.) My father wrote the screenplay for The Warriors, and I'm hoping this "review" gets printed because he just passed away on Thursday morning, November 4th, of a sudden burst anneurism. With so many "Warriors" fans out there, I thought you would want to know. I'm incredibly warmed by these wonderful comments about this film and I know that if he read them (although he had barely learned how to search the internet before he died) he would chuckle in his lighthearted way and say something like "Oh, well isn't that nice," all-the-while refusing to take credit for any of it. But I know he deserved that credit, having taken a dark, psychological study of gang warfare and infusing it with a classic but clever and topical, good vs. evil story. (And maybe I shouldn't admit it, but my dad didn't really like the baseball face-paint idea which I believe was one of Walter Hill's additions - he thought that was too unrealistic and "Hollywood"...) Anyway, I do hope the movie is re-issued with the extra scenes at some point, and for those real "followers" I just discovered that you can find a complete list of his produced titles on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb.com) if you want to check it out. The Warriors is indeed an AFFECTING picture, whether you love it or hate it. So thanks for your comments and take care, -Sam.

I would like to pass my condolances on to Sam and the rest of her family, along with those from all the fans of the movie.
The one and only!

Riff

Re: David Shaber

Post by Riff »

I read this on the main page, sad news.

RIP
Who are The Warriors, there must be some word...

GramercyRiff99

Post by GramercyRiff99 »

I just Googled his name, and I found an obituary from the New York Times... published in November of 1999. Did he die ten years ago and we're just not hearing about it until now?

Regardless, I'll agree with Riff: this is sad news indeed. Though maybe he's having a good time drinking beer and sharing stories with Marcelino Sanchez somewhere in another plane of existence. I think I prefer to think of it that way.

the london warrior

Post by the london warrior »

my condolences go out to his family - rip
rip marcelino sanchez 1957~1986

bassman

Post by bassman »

I would like to give my condolences to his Family and friends, a lose of a great man. R.I.P

Bluefury

Post by Bluefury »

R.I.P David, we are thinking about you and your family.
[img]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/callofduty99/newblueava.gif[/img]

furiesunleahed

Post by furiesunleahed »

Sad to see another family member of this great movie goes RIP
http://stashbox.org/779417/claudioairplaneslammorishima.gif

CleonsChoice

Post by CleonsChoice »

As has been posted, Shaber has sadly been gone from this world for nearly 10 years.  Not quite sure why all this is coming up now.  The comment from his daughter was posted years ago.

War-Lord

Post by War-Lord »

This is very sad news. Pray for his family through this time. RIP Dave
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2621/userbar722623.gif[/img][/url]
Xbox Live GT: GageIsLegend