The look of the Punks

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
PadLock

The look of the Punks

Post by PadLock »

You know with a name like "The Punks" to me you think they would have dressed more punk rock. i mean this was NYC in the late 1970's when Punk was huge. Now i know Punk mean ,Hood,thug ect. I know in the script they were called the punks, but it didnt say anything about the way they dressed. I wonder in the remake if there going to make them look more punk rock. when i think of punks, i dont think of over all's.

Rem

The look of the Punks

Post by Rem »

I remember in the script it said that the leader wore all black, so it can be assumed that they all did...

Oh and when Mercy warns The Fox of the leader's presense I'm pretty sure she says something about how the guy is "painted up" or something. Maybe the original concept had them wear emo eyeliner/eyeshadow?

But with the exception of button up shirts, I'd have to say that I like how the Punks' look almost contradicts their name.
[img]http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808565595&cf=pg&photoid=522161&intl=us[/img]

Clown Face Killer

The look of the Punks

Post by Clown Face Killer »

I want one (1) of these:

PadLock

The look of the Punks

Post by PadLock »

Who doesnt!

Kiro

The look of the Punks

Post by Kiro »

The only reason why they decided to use that look for the Punks in the movie is because they would look too much like the Rouges if they kept to the script.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Kiro_BlueWolf/ThirdSignature2.png[/img]

The Rogue

The look of the Punks

Post by The Rogue »

ya, cause they would have to wear all black and leather jackets. it they would have done that many viewers may have been confused

LizzyBorden

Re: The look of the Punks

Post by LizzyBorden »

PadLock wrote:You know with a name like "The Punks" to me you think they would have dressed more punk rock. i mean this was NYC in the late 1970's when Punk was huge. Now i know Punk mean ,Hood,thug ect. I know in the script they were called the punks, but it didnt say anything about the way they dressed. I wonder in the remake if there going to make them look more punk rock. when i think of punks, i dont think of over all's.

The Havoc aka the Punks :!:
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/LizzyBorden502/307ScreenShot.jpg[/img]

The Fox

The look of the Punks

Post by The Fox »

I don't think that they are meant to be Punks as in the Musical following.

I thought it just meant they are street "Punks".
[align=center][img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/images/thefox.jpg[/img][/align]

Nite Run

The look of the Punks

Post by Nite Run »

The Fox wrote:I don't think that they are meant to be Punks as in the Musical following.

I thought it just meant they are street "Punks".
Exactly, but if I had to compare them to some band or something, it would be Dexy's Midnight Runner's..heh..The Rogues had that classic leather punk look that was so rampant in the Lower East Side of Manhattan at the time. The Riffs had that Universal Zulu Nation look coupled in with the Martial Arts look of the time, hence "Game of Death" with Bruce Lee and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. All the other gangs looked pretty much on course with the look of the time, the only gang I felt looked a little out of place were the "Electric Eliminators". They looked like a bowling or a crew/social club that hangs out at the malt shops of the 50's ala "Happy Days", but then again, those were the roots dating back to the turbulent 60's, as well as the Golden 50's, that made the '70's so special. Peace.
Last edited by Nite Run on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/2jbk2ef.jpg[/img]

Roadman

The look of the Punks

Post by Roadman »

:D About those punks,out of all the gangs in this movie, The punks were the ones who to me were not intimidating at all! Maybe the leader had potential! The rest looked like some country type kids on the way to the arcade at the mall! Hell,the Orphans looked tougher!
But that bathroom fight scene was the best ive ever seen in any movie!

StevenFallonNYC

The look of the Punks

Post by StevenFallonNYC »

They probably did change the look as not to look like The Rouges. But with so many 'gimmicks' already taken, I guess the farmer look was a natural way to go lol. It's good they kept the name. Imagine if The Punks were called "The Hillbillies" or "The Hicks," it just wouldn't have the same pizazz lol. You gotta love it - a gang named The Punks dressed as hillbillies with the leader on roller skates. The 70's rule.
Big Cyrus. He was gonna run the whole city...what crap that was.

The Rogue

The look of the Punks

Post by The Rogue »

ya i think they also meant punks as in stir some crap up around town rather then lisent to the sex pistols and were heave england studs

emissary
Scout
Scout

The look of the Punks

Post by emissary »

The Punks struck me as being out of place. They didn't seem like a group that would be so devoted to Cyrus. They also gave the Warriors a tough fight. Oh, by the way, has anyone ever noticed that during the fight with the punks, there are moments, where 2-3 guys would be in the shot and everyone else was no where to be scene. It was crowded in there.
"When we see the ocean we figure we're home, we're safe."