The Warriors TV version

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.

The Warriors TV version

Postby Cochese » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:26 am

Sorry to resurrect what I am sure is an old topic, but does anyone own a TV version of the movie complete with deleted scenes as opposed to a copy where the scenes have been re-instated by a third party?
Don't f**k with The Wongs!
Cochese

Re: The Warriors TV version

Postby Ninth Delegate » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Apart from the afor mentioned 3rd party dvd, I only have the version that was broadcast on bbc2 years ago with the added coney scene at the begining. I've never seen the tv edit broadcast.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.
Ninth Delegate

Postby turnbull gbr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Ninth Delegate wrote:Apart from the afor mentioned 3rd party dvd, I only have the version that was broadcast on bbc2 years ago with the added coney scene at the begining. I've never seen the tv edit broadcast.

Was this the time when La Haine was on straight after? that was the first time i ever saw the Warriors 8-) Was this not the full tv edit then? what was the difference?
turnbull gbr

Postby Ninth Delegate » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:32 pm

turnbull gbr wrote:
Ninth Delegate wrote:Apart from the afor mentioned 3rd party dvd, I only have the version that was broadcast on bbc2 years ago with the added coney scene at the begining. I've never seen the tv edit broadcast.

Was this the time when La Haine was on straight after? that was the first time i ever saw the Warriors 8-) Was this not the full tv edit then? what was the difference?

Yep thats the one. I hated the tv presenter though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lMASwez0Y&feature=plcp
It's not the tv edit. The deleted scenes replaced some of the violence, to try and flesh out the running time. The other 6 deleted scenes (cyrus speech, warriors in the park ect) wern't in the bbc3 version.

If you've still got a vhs player, check out the uk release that has the fugitive instead of nowhere to run. The screen aspect ratio is different and you can see more on the bottom of the screen. I noticed it at the begining when the wonderwheel appears.
Ninth Delegate

Postby Cochese » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 am

I think I have the full TV version complete with opening daylight sequence etc D'ya think there's a market out there for some burnt copies?
Cochese

Postby Ninth Delegate » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:19 pm

All depends on the picture quality.
The bootleg complete version i've got, the picture quality of the reinserted deleted scenes leaves a lot to be desired.
Ninth Delegate

Postby turnbull gbr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Do you know if there are any differences between the CIC Pre-cert VHS and the normal CIC VHS?
turnbull gbr

Postby Ninth Delegate » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:39 pm

I don't recall any when I rented it on betamax, way back when. Every different cut has to go before the bbfc and it costs the film companies quite a bit. I'm thinking that they are the same. The back cover is slightly different though. There's some video copies that have cheap cardboard sleeves instead of the plastic jewel case.
Ninth Delegate

Postby Ninth Delegate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

Having now watched the tv edit, I can say it makes interesting viewing; more so for what they've taken out than what's been added. Up until the Turnbulls scene, all swearing has been cut, including parts of the opening credits. Parts of cyrus speech is also edited. All reference to taking over the city and outnumbering the cops has been cut out. As far as fight scenes go, it appears to be the same (can't tell for sure without having both versions running at the same time).
Although there's some white noise flickering throughout and looks like those vhs to vhs copies from back in the day, the picture is brighter than usual and there's a tendency to notice more in the background. Has a grindhouse vibe to it.
Going to have to double check this but I thought there were a few extra seconds of footage added where the cops turn up at the conclave. The swearing gets edited out again towards the end. Ratio is the old scan and pan square box that we had to endure throughout the 80s.

Another thing worthy of note is the varied trailers added as a bonus. 1 of them has a few seconds of extra footage showing the high hats walking down some stairs.

Edit: Just checked the cops at the conclave and it's the same.

The deleted scenes look more vibrant than the washed out versions in the reinserted bootleg copy.

As long as you're not expecting crystal clear dvd picture quality; this is worth checking out. I shall attempt to get some screen grabs and side by side comparisons to post up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Many thanks to Cochese for making this available.
Ninth Delegate

Postby Ninth Delegate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:16 pm

The reinserted fan edition are on the left; tv edit version on the right.

And heres a couple of shots of missing Hi Hats footage.

Ninth Delegate

Postby Cochese » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Ninth Delegate wrote:Having now watched the tv edit, I can say it makes interesting viewing; more so for what they've taken out than what's been added. Up until the Turnbulls scene, all swearing has been cut, including parts of the opening credits. Parts of cyrus speech is also edited. All reference to taking over the city and outnumbering the cops has been cut out. As far as fight scenes go, it appears to be the same (can't tell for sure without having both versions running at the same time).
Although there's some white noise flickering throughout and looks like those vhs to vhs copies from back in the day, the picture is brighter than usual and there's a tendency to notice more in the background. Has a grindhouse vibe to it.
Going to have to double check this but I thought there were a few extra seconds of footage added where the cops turn up at the conclave. The swearing gets edited out again towards the end. Ratio is the old scan and pan square box that we had to endure throughout the 80s.

Another thing worthy of note is the varied trailers added as a bonus. 1 of them has a few seconds of extra footage showing the high hats walking down some stairs.

Edit: Just checked the cops at the conclave and it's the same.

The deleted scenes look more vibrant than the washed out versions in the reinserted bootleg copy.

As long as you're not expecting crystal clear dvd picture quality; this is worth checking out. I shall attempt to get some screen grabs and side by side comparisons to post up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Many thanks to Cochese for making this available.

Not for free I may add ;) Only you, 9D, get a free copy in exchange for helping me with the liner notes on my new bootleg business.
Cochese

Return to The Warriors (1979)