Real Or Fiction?

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
The King Of Pop

Real Or Fiction?

Post by The King Of Pop »

Howdy folks,

I know that this is going to seem like a stupid question. I would like to know if the Baseball Furies were a real New York based gang? I have read some of the gangs in The Warriors were real gangs. Were The Furies one of them? If so, do they still exist? Please respond with ansewers. Happy trails.

The King of Pop
Be good to yourself and those around you for it's just a half a mile away.

Love me! LOVE DOPEFISH!

Real Or Fiction?

Post by Love me! LOVE DOPEFISH! »

Well, yes and no. They were real, but they've since disbanded. In the 1970s, the Furies were actually a gang to be reckoned with. Rumor says it was started by a man named "Cobb", a very tall and very hotheaded man, about 20 something, straight outta riverside. Now, down in Riverside, baseball was big. Real big. Minor teams competed, and it got fierce. Real fierce. Gangs within the baseball scene there, it was really wild. Anyways, the Furies proved biggest. However, they didn't last too long in the gang scene, they could play and they could fight, but they couldn't hold up with the biggest gangs out there. They lost hold on Riverside about '77, after a two-year reign. However, due to the mysterious aura surrounding them in urban legend, tales surfaced and soon they went from a facepainted baseball jersey-wearing gang, to fully facepainted guys in full uniform who never spoke a word while they kicked arse. Hence their incarnation in the WArriors.
* Insert awesome line from the Warriors here. *

The Rogue

Real Or Fiction?

Post by The Rogue »

well first off king its not my job to say this but dont tell us ur drunk, there happens to be kids on the site, and second the warriors was a movie based off the gang scene in the york during the 70s. i dont wanna sound mean or anything but put the bottle down and use ur head

Tantive7
Soldier
Soldier

Real Or Fiction?

Post by Tantive7 »

And yet it's amazing that you can type right at this minute??:roll:
[center][img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/images/lastof7t.jpg[/img][img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6186/bret23bo.gif[/img][url=http://www.myspace.com/tantive7]http://www.myspace.com/tantive7[/url]

BTW A.K.A the killer household appliance
Soldier The Middle
Soldier The Middle

Real Or Fiction?

Post by BTW A.K.A the killer household appliance »

Dopefish wrote:Well, yes and no. They were real, but they've since disbanded. In the 1970s, the Furies were actually a gang to be reckoned with. Rumor says it was started by a man named "Cobb", a very tall and very hotheaded man, about 20 something, straight outta riverside. Now, down in Riverside, baseball was big. Real big. Minor teams competed, and it got fierce. Real fierce. Gangs within the baseball scene there, it was really wild. Anyways, the Furies proved biggest. However, they didn't last too long in the gang scene, they could play and they could fight, but they couldn't hold up with the biggest gangs out there. They lost hold on Riverside about '77, after a two-year reign. However, due to the mysterious aura surrounding them in urban legend, tales surfaced and soon they went from a facepainted baseball jersey-wearing gang, to fully facepainted guys in full uniform who never spoke a word while they kicked arse. Hence their incarnation in the WArriors.
:shock: WOW i never knew that! how do you know this? man oh man that is kool! this info is gonna go in my 70s new york gang knowledge, thanks dope :D

da-warrior

Real Or Fiction?

Post by da-warrior »

i wouldnt laugh at anyone holding a bat but do u think they would have been targeted for the makeup :shock:
THE ORIGINAL DA-WARRIOR!!!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rexsin/warriorsart2.jpg[/img]

Jacobus

Real Or Fiction?

Post by Jacobus »

I'm 99.9% certain that I read somewhere that the director made up the Baseball Furies... The article read along the lines of "...the Furies where created out of the directors passion for baseball and his love of the rock band Kiss...". And not that I dont believe you Dopefish, but I'm really confused now
"Your just part of everything thats happened tonight.. and its all bad"

The Rogue

Real Or Fiction?

Post by The Rogue »

ya i read that too in a walter hill article. there was a list of all the gangs and charachters and how he came up with them, and it said that for the furies

Jacobus

Real Or Fiction?

Post by Jacobus »

I'm glad someone else has read it! I thought I was going crazy :lol:

Love me! LOVE DOPEFISH!

Real Or Fiction?

Yeah, he added the "mime" bit, the facepaint was already part of urban mythology. Nobody ever talked about how they sounded, but I doubt they were completely calm and silent. There just happened to be a part of urban myths he could apply his love of baseball to, and, exaggerating their facepaint, his love of KISS.

Jacobus

Real Or Fiction?

Post by Jacobus »

Everyones a winner! :D

Love me! LOVE DOPEFISH!

Real Or Fiction?

Was it really KISS? I dunno, I know he wanted something to do with baseball. I think the extreme use of facepaint was already part of their legend (though the real ones supposedly didn't use it like that)

StevenFallonNYC

Real Or Fiction?

Post by StevenFallonNYC »

I never heard/read that Walter Hill had a love for KISS (doesn't mean that's not the case, just that I never saw anything like that) and in the new DVD featurettes, the woman who designed the costumes sounded like she is the one who put the KISS influence on the Furies.

Unless Walter Hill instructed her to do so, and she didn't mention that?Image
Big Cyrus. He was gonna run the whole city...what crap that was.

The Rogue

Real Or Fiction?

Post by The Rogue »

well i think it was influenced by a 70s new york rock n roll band who wore makeup. so either it was KISS or THE NEW YORK DOLLS the band who influenced kiss. and they didnt wear full face pait but rather lipstick and maskera(dunno how to write that)