In the novel....

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
egrorian

In the novel....

Post by egrorian »

I'm confused as Sol Yurick mentions in his (retrosepctive) introduction that The Warriors (or Coney Island Dominators as they were termed in the novel) were black. I'm sure this was also mentioned in the new DVD special features (the DVD review mag actually says the Warriors were "Native Americans" but this must be an error).

However, in the scene where Hector, Lunkface and Bimbo meet the nurse in the park, Hector is described as "a pretty boy with blonde wavy hair"! So, can anyone clarify?

egrorian

In the novel....

Post by egrorian »

No-one? I thought this was an interesting question.

'Hector' is obviously the equivalent of 'Swan', so the long wavy blond hair was interesting, especially as the common view - even mentioned by the author himself! - seems to be the Warriors of the novel were an all black outfit.

MrVess

Re: In the novel....

Post by MrVess »

The excuse explanation: bleached hair or wig.

The realistic explanation: Yurick's goof.

ohs

In the novel....

Post by ohs »

hmm I just recently read the book and I was never under the impression that they were black, although Lunkface was called the N word by the nurse in the park, which infuriated him. Ima have to look over the book again see if I can find anything else.
[img]http://members.cox.net/thewarriors/box420x90.gif[/img]

LATEM

Post by LATEM »

egrorian wrote:I'm confused as Sol Yurick mentions in his (retrosepctive) introduction that The Warriors (or Coney Island Dominators as they were termed in the novel) were black. I'm sure this was also mentioned in the new DVD special features (the DVD review mag actually says the Warriors were "Native Americans" but this must be an error).

However, in the scene where Hector, Lunkface and Bimbo meet the nurse in the park, Hector is described as "a pretty boy with blonde wavy hair"! So, can anyone clarify?
I don't know what Mr. Yurick's idea is of "black" but some of his characters are also Latinos. The reason I am clearing this up is because there seems to be a huge confusion between color and cultural background. Here in the States we are so stupid as to ask questions on forms such as: "Please indicate your ethnic group: White Latino, Black Latino, Other" It is plain stupid. I am glad that the movie we all love is made of all backgrounds.
"This is what we fought all night to get back to?"

[img]http://www.columbia.edu/~jfm3/Guadalajara2.jpg[/img]

Sometime around when [i]The Warriors[/i] came to the big screen...

wolverine_95

In the novel....

Post by wolverine_95 »

I think Hector was supposed to be Hispanic. As for the DVD jacket saying the Warriors are Native-American, I think they were trying to say they were Native-American themed. I've seen this description in a few places. I tend to think it's a miscategorization, but maybe the word Warriors has a connotation I'm not aware of. Plus, Cochise?s headband looks like it could be inspired by Native-Americans and the rank of War Chief sounds Native-American.
[align=center][img]http://static.flickr.com/55/137967009_693820d686_o.jpg[/img][/align][align=center]My mountain bike's name is Heavy Muscle[/align]

Juniper

Post by Juniper »

I read the book all i can find out is that Lunkface is Ajax and I have been wondering who The Junior and the rest is.
\"Caaan you dig iiiittttt?!\"

wolverine_95

Post by wolverine_95 »

Juniper wrote: I read the book all i can find out is that Lunkface is Ajax and I have been wondering who The Junior and the rest is.
The book and the film are so different that it's hard to find the parallels. The Junior seems to be like Rembrandt yet Hinton is the writer.
[align=center][img]http://static.flickr.com/55/137967009_693820d686_o.jpg[/img][/align][align=center]My mountain bike's name is Heavy Muscle[/align]

BaseballFury100

Post by BaseballFury100 »

black people can have blonde hair ;)
[img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/SuperMario1000/BASEBALLFURY100BETTASIG-1.jpg[/img]

Ravage

Post by Ravage »

In the novel Lunkface is described as "...American, a Puerto Rican of Spanish descent..." in the part with the nurse in the park.

I am thinking the Dominators were a Puerto Rican gang.
This is a story of courage.

This is a story of war.

Grits

Post by Grits »

Is the novel a must-read if you're a big fan of the film?
Cleon dying was a huge blow.  Swan was able to pick up the slack and lead a very tough gang home through hell.

SoldierHeavyMuscle

Post by SoldierHeavyMuscle »

Grits wrote: Is the novel a must-read if you're a big fan of the film?
NO, NO, NO!!!!
you want a "book" version of film?
a GOOD version?

read the script!!  ;)
Tried to give the devil my soul...
She said i had nothing to bargain with...

mavissum

Post by mavissum »

well i think the book kinda gives you a more intresting background to the characters even though you dont really know who they are, you can figure alot of them out. thats just my opinion of course