Why didn't Swan pick up the gun?

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
KillerMime

Post by KillerMime »

I always wondered why Swan, knowing he and the Warriors were outnumbered by the Rogues, didn't grab the gun off the sand after he wiped the knife on Luther's hair.
[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/crypto17/ohs07.jpg[/img]

Harley

Post by Harley »

Swan knew he had won, and he did it with honor. He didn't need no gun! He's Swan, knifeman!

Mercy

Post by Mercy »

Well...'cause... hmmm, good point :lol: But then, the other rougues should have grab the gun also, right?
[img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/MikeySHM/mercyuserbar.jpg[/img]

http://world5.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=59143454

SoldierHeavyMuscle

Re: Why didn't Swan pick up the gun?

Post by SoldierHeavyMuscle »

KillerMime wrote:I always wondered why Swan, knowing he and the Warriors were outnumbered by the Rogues, didn't grab the gun off the sand after he wiped the knife on Luther's hair.
wow!!
that's a really good question!!
i never thought of that!!
yeah, he coulda put a slug, or two in luthers head!
and it wouldn't have botherd me, in the least!!! LOL
Tried to give the devil my soul...
She said i had nothing to bargain with...

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Harley wrote:He's Swan, knifeman!
:lol: When I read that, I imagined a really cheesy 70s action show commerical.

SWAN: Knifeman

!! :lol:
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/MancubusMachine/Untitled-1copy.png[/img]

Coney Island Baby

Post by Coney Island Baby »

Well Luther was too busy holding his arm in pain and whimpering to pick the gun up right away and shoot at him again. And by the time Swan had wiped the blood off his blade, the Riffs had shown up and stolen everyone's attention. Had the Riffs not shown up right then though, I'm sure Swan would've taken the gun away from Luther so he couldn't use it again.

It would of been a good idea from the Rogue's point of view to quickly pick up the gun for protection while the Riffs were marching towards them, but even if they had they were going to die anyway because there were far more Riffs and Warriors than there were bullets in that gun.

Another reason Swan didn't pick up the gun was probably because from a filmmaking point of view there'd be no reason to make Swan pick up the gun if he wasn't actually gonna use it. It would just waste time.

zubi q

Post by zubi q »

i agree he didnt need the gun, it isn't the warriors way!

BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Coney Island baby knows where its at, Luther was in no shape to grab then gun, Swan had just wiped the blood of the blade with his hair, after seeing that move by swan im assuming any of the rogues are thinking ''if i go for that gun ill have a knife in my just as quickly'' so they are standing their ground, and then yes the riffs show up and the i would think the only thing going through their heads is ''we are finished'' because when you see the waves of the ocean on one side and the waves of riffs on the other, you know your done.
Bop or be bopped.

prozium

Post by prozium »

Howveer at that point the Rogues didn't know that the Riffs ahd found out it was actually them who shot Cyrus, not until Masai says "We found who we're looking for" then Luther says "No...No! It was them...The Warriors!"
SUPER HAPPY PINEAPPLE MAN!

PLEASE RESIZE YOUR SIG TO THE CURRENT RULES

[img]http://www.marconelweb.it/thewarriors1979/images/UserBar/userbar_Punks.jpg[/img]

ZombiePunk

Post by ZombiePunk »

Harley wrote:Swan knew he had won, and he did it with honor. He didn't need no gun! He's Swan, knifeman!
:lol: Knifeman!

Swan knew he didnt need that gun to take down Luther.
I was just guessing at numbers and figures
Pulling your puzzles apart
Questions of science, science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart

The Rogue

Post by The Rogue »

i think cause he knew the fighting was over he didnt need it. i think at that point it was dignity and pride, he didnt need the gun he had 2 fists and another 12 behind him and mercy, she can bite just ask the punk leader :lol:

wolverine_95

Post by wolverine_95 »

Another factor in this is that The Rogues are basicly cowards. Luther only appears to be brave because he's a borderline sociopath. Consider how scared Cropsey was that someone would find out The Rogues did it, and he's the 2nd in command! To me, that speaks about the rest of them. Once the mob-mentality is broken by Luther's defeat, the cowardace becomes dominant and none of the other Rogues make any moves against The Warriors or The Riffs. They might not have even made a move against The Orphans if they had shown up. They were all just frozen in the headlights.
[align=center][img]http://static.flickr.com/55/137967009_693820d686_o.jpg[/img][/align][align=center]My mountain bike's name is Heavy Muscle[/align]

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Post by War Chief »

I'm surprised none of the other Rogues picked up the gun sinc Swan had already thrown his knife. Then again, they probably saw the Riffs on the horizon and thought better of it. :?
The one and only!

KillerMime

Post by KillerMime »

I understand your points about it not being the Warrior way and Swan already having defeated Luther and all that.

But Luther was hardly incapacitated. Sure, he was using his good hand to hold his wounded hand, but that gun was right at his knees. He very easily could have picked it up, seeing that Swan had stepped back to the other Warriors.

As for the Rogues being cowards, you see that one shot of them getting their weapons ready and bracing themselves for a charge. Had the Riffs not shown up when they did, I think the Rogues would have rumbled, and then one of them could have easily grabbed the gun.

Yes, realism was not exactly the main concern of this movie, but what gang member would realistically allow a loaded gun to just sit there on the sand right before a gang fight? I think saving your life and your friends lives would supercede any notion of the "honor" of a good old knife fight. That's an old gang saying anyway, never bring a knife to a gunfight, right?

I think Hill could have easily written into the movie. Swan reaches down, picks up the gun. The Riffs show up. There is the exchange between Swan and Masai ending with Masai saying "The rest is ours." Swan then looks at Luther, looks down at the gun, thinks about revenge for Cleon for a moment, then nods to Masai and walks away.
[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/crypto17/ohs07.jpg[/img]

Matt S.F.

Post by Matt S.F. »

I agree it was more honorable for swan to just use the knife
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g238/Superkidmm/Image1.jpg[/img]