Hidden Metaphors?

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
Kujo_87

Hidden Metaphors?

Post by Kujo_87 »

I just finished watching the movie again a few days ago and I noticed some kind of obscure things. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention of (even though people have probably noticed) is in the grave yard scene when Rembrandt is painting the W on that headstone to the right of it is "The Best" written in bubble letters. its kind of faint but  if you haven't seen it, its to the rihgt and a litte bellow the W.

Another thing I've noticed is when the Furies chase starts, if you look to the top of the screen as the Warriors are crossing the street and running by the stand on the curb, you can see the sign for Chase Bank hanging off the wall of a building up the intersection. A Chase sign at the beggining of a chase? It helps if you go frame by frame when the Warriors run by the last section of red railing before they cross the intersection. 

Now this one for sure has to be a metaphor. It happens right at the end of the DJ section that takes place after Swan's group lays out the Furies. After she says "stay tuned boppers...stay tuned.", the camera starts panning down a piece of studio equipment w/  7 guages...just like there are seven remaining Warriors at this point. The only thing is, the last guage is burned out and inactive...only minutes before Ajax is arrested in the park after Cochise's group meets the Lizzies.

So, does anybody think these hold signifigance or  :doubt:am I just paying too much attention?
Last edited by Kujo_87 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8223/sig22ih.png[/img]
                         GO GET IT

Furies4life
Warrior

Re: Hidden Metaphors?

Post by Furies4life »

I give you props my man. That is just amazing. I noticed some of those things to and in books they also show u that. Forshawdoing i think its call. Karma i give you. I like THAT
\[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/Furies4life/Furies.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/Bigboi49/userbar-furies1.jpg[/img]

Daddy Cool

Post by Daddy Cool »

i think you on to somethin,thats a good find,somebody give Kujo karma for me :lol: 8)

andy_man

Post by andy_man »

Hey Kujo, good work.
I found the graveyard one and the 7 dials one to be quite intrieging(dont know how to spell)
I would give you Karma but i can't... Oh well...
Again, Very good find :D
[img]http://i28.tinypic.com/970k7m.jpg[/img]
IV

Cowboy79
Soldier The Middle
Soldier The Middle

Post by Cowboy79 »

Kujo, You have to much time on your hands..... Just Joking! :D Good job, I know i wouldn't of seen those stuff but man you are a true fan. Definite Karma good job again.

SoldierHeavyMuscle

Post by SoldierHeavyMuscle »

WOW!!!!!

you do know what girls are, right??  :lol:

man, you need a hobby!!!
like it aint funny!!!  ;)  :D

i'm kiddin, man!
had to mess with ya, a little bit!!
sorry!! LOL

HEY EMISSARY!!
you 2 need to hang out.
you're always coming up with the same kinda stuff!

way to pay attention to some detail, man!
nice, let me toss ya some karma!!  ;)
Tried to give the devil my soul...
She said i had nothing to bargain with...

prozium

Post by prozium »

Kujo_87 wrote: I just finished watching the movie again a few days ago and I noticed some kind of obscure things. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention of (even though people have probably noticed) is in the grave yard scene when Rembrandt is painting the W on that headstone to the right of it is "The Best" written in bubble letters. its kind of faint but u if you haven't seen it, its to the rihgt and a liite bellow the W.

Another thing I've noticed is when the Furies chase starts, if you look to the top of the screen as the Warriors are crossing the street and running by the stand on the curb, you can see the sign for Chase Bank hang off the wall of a building up the intersection. A Chase sign at the beggining of a chase? It helps if you go frame by frame when the Warriors run by the last section of red railing before they cross the intersection. 

Now this one for sure has to be a metaphor. It happens right at the end of the DJ section that takes place after Swan's group lays out the Furies. After she says "stay tuned boppers...stay tuned.", the camera starts panning down a piece of studio equipment w/  7 guages...just like there are seven remaining Warriors at this point. The only thing is, the last guage is burned out and inactive...only minutes before Ajax is arrested in the park after Cochise's group meets the Lizzies.

So, does anybody think these hold signifigane or  :doubt:am I just paying too much attention?
karma for an excelent observation! Man I enver would ahve spotted that :D

I think a bit oppositely to you in that the first two are the more clear metphors and the equipment is more of a coincidence. Mainly because if it had been an intended metaphor that there would be 9 gauges but two of them switched off, or broken or something.

But who knows, chances are you're right, and once again great job spotting them! ^__^
SUPER HAPPY PINEAPPLE MAN!

PLEASE RESIZE YOUR SIG TO THE CURRENT RULES

[img]http://www.marconelweb.it/thewarriors1979/images/UserBar/userbar_Punks.jpg[/img]

turnbull_badger

Post by turnbull_badger »

thats really cool especially the one with the dials representing each warrior
[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j189/turnbull123/turnballbadger.jpg[/img]

KillerMime

Post by KillerMime »

The gravestone I think was deliberate.  That was probably old graffiti from a real gang and Walter Hill thought it would be cool to have that match up with what Swan says at the end (The best).

The Chase sign was probably more coincidence.  I think they chose that location strictly for the look of the street, because it had that decline to it.  I'm sure someone noticed the Chase sign and thought it might be clever to include it in the shot, though.

As far as the radio gauges, I'm thinking they were simply burned out equipment from a ghetto studio.  Kinda blows my mind that they had to set the needle down on the record themselves back then.  Damn, that's ghetto.

The thing about looking for symbolism in a movie is that it's hard to know when to stop.  If you try hard enough,you can attach symbolism to every shot in the movie.  I read a review of the film recently where the guy tried to say that the opening shot of the train made the train look like a spaceship or something floating on air and that set the tone for the futuristic feel of the movie.  Whatever.
[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/crypto17/ohs07.jpg[/img]

back2coney

Post by back2coney »

Either you've been completly sober all your life or you're stonned off your nut, which ever it is - if i was a warrior I'd give you sweet Kudos for that one. Yeah I agree with the badger the dials is an excelent metaphor - although techinically a parrallel...............................................  i'll get my coat.  ;)
" Real tough mothers ain't ya! "

[img]http://looksy.co.uk/files/images/rare22_1_0.jpg[/img]

Kujo_87

Post by Kujo_87 »

SHM wrote: WOW!!!!!

you do know what girls are, right??  :lol:

man, you need a hobby!!!
like it aint funny!!!  ;)  :D

i'm kiddin, man!
had to mess with ya, a little bit!!
sorry!! LOL

HEY EMISSARY!!
you 2 need to hang out.
you're always coming up with the same kinda stuff!

way to pay attention to some detail, man!
nice, let me toss ya some karma!!  ;)
Haha :lol:! The funny thing is I really only watch the movie like once a month, but rewind my favorite parts alot and end up watching it  for like two and a half hours, so stuff like that just pops out sometimes.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8223/sig22ih.png[/img]
                         GO GET IT

JonesStreetBoyz

Post by JonesStreetBoyz »

i have to give ya props i would have never of found those good job and it also feels great to b back after a 60 day ban wich was longer than 60 days i think well im glad to b back
JSB 4 LIFE chech the myspace......
http://www.myspace.com/jonesstreetboyzz

andy_man

Post by andy_man »

NEW METAPHOR

MiddleMan07 and I were watching all the deleted scenes and in the one called "News Flash". In that scene when it ends it shows a dial; The dial stops on the number 8. At the time of the scene it is right after the Turnbull's chase, after Cleon is wasted.

You guys think this is a metaphor or a conincidence?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i28.tinypic.com/970k7m.jpg[/img]
IV

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Post by War Chief »

I would say there are two more blindingly obvious symbolic things in the movie.

The first is the prom couples and the class divide that is portrayed. This has been discussed before.

The second is when Mercy and Swan are in the subway tunnel and the subway light flashes to red. This is very symbolic as the red light links to the way Mercy lives shall we say (red light district), and I am almost certain that is why that happens in the movie. You could also associate it with them stopping in the tunnel. I do like the way that scene is written, but what gets me is that Swan gives in to his urges and kisses Mercy!  :D
The one and only!

Daddy Cool

Post by Daddy Cool »

War Chief wrote: I would say there are two more blindingly obvious symbolic things in the movie.

The first is the prom couples and the class divide that is portrayed. This has been discussed before.

The second is when Mercy and Swan are in the subway tunnel and the subway light flashes to red. This is very symbolic as the red light links to the way Mercy lives shall we say (red light district), and I am almost certain that is why that happens in the movie. You could also associate it with them stopping in the tunnel. I do like the way that scene is written, but what gets me is that Swan gives in to his urges and kisses Mercy!  :D
thx for pointin that red light one out,thats a good find :lol: 8)