why were the streets always empty?

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
R3mbrandtfan

why were the streets always empty?

Post by R3mbrandtfan »

I did search this but why were the streets always empty wherever the warriors went? Are the streets of NYC always vacant at night? I mean it's not like anyone would try to help but shouldn't people be out there? I mean even a couple bums would do! :lol: Just wondering.
[img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3470/theothersig1bf3.png[/img]
You got the stuff? I want you to hit everything in sight. I want everyone to know the Warriors were there. -Cleon

Space Toaster
Warrior

Re: why were the streets always empty?

Post by Space Toaster »

Maybe it was too dangerous to go out at night because of all the gangs running amok.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

KillerMime

Post by KillerMime »

It was the look they were going for.  They deliberately wanted a sort of dream-like state where only the gangs and cops roamed the streets at night.  It definitely gives the movie a certain feel to it.
[img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/crypto17/ohs07.jpg[/img]

Milkman

Post by Milkman »

ya i always wondered the same thing....like how come they were to only ones on the subway
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/milkman575/br3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/milkman575/userbar-warriors.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/milkman575/userbar-moon.jpg[/img]

CleonWarlord

Post by CleonWarlord »

I always thought the producers and the rest of the crew made sure peds could not walk on the set or it was always late at night. But like they say, New york is the city that never sleeps. LOL.

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Post by War Chief »

Because it was July 4th (apparently ... as it was in the book) so everyone was in bed ... hang on a second ....  :?
The one and only!

ShadowX81

Post by ShadowX81 »

Back in the 70s, when gangs freely roamed the streets, most of new york city was a ghosttown at night where only gangs and cops roamed the streets. Major places like Times Square were always busy, but the quiet places the brooklin and queens were pretty much how you saw them in the movie.
It wasnt until recent mayors cleaned up the streets of crime and gangs went more underground that most of New York city became active 24/7

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

nonononono...i know exacly what you mean... this is NYC there shoul have been alot more people roaming the streets.good point! great topic! =D>!!!
...Miracles is the way things ought to be.

Lion

Post by Lion »

What happened to the pimps and hookers and all the bad citizen's of slummy New York?
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/METALTANK/squares.jpg[/img]

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

LIONS ON THE RED CARPET wrote: What happened to the pimps and hookers and all the bad citizen's of slummy New York?

Ha...  :lol:... so true!!! that would've created more realism. although i did see some hookers in turnbull ave. station as the warriors and turnbulls ran to the platform!!! :p!

Jake_100

Post by Jake_100 »

I think you think about it, if you where in the warriors shoes it would be more scary to walk home in the dark alone its basic when you think about it it makes you think when its dark and your walking home damn, someones watching me or someones following me. It would be less scary if there where loads of people about, its would be a dull film really

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Jake_100 wrote: I think you think about it, if you where in the warriors shoes it would be more scary to walk home in the dark alone its basic when you think about it it makes you think when its dark and your walking home damn, someones watching me or someones following me. It would be less scary if there where loads of people about, its would be a dull film really

yeah... the lack of pedestrians creates an eery glow for this epic! but what about some creepy hobos... ya know with the limps horrid smell and two different colored eyes... just to come across in the park er any where! :D!

Jake_100

Post by Jake_100 »

I think the warriors would have wasted them easily as the hobo's where problery drink and druged up.

Albert Ganz

Post by Albert Ganz »

Do you think the citizens of NY would walk around at about 12-5am with the risk of being attacked by a gang...? I wouldn't think so...

Coney Island Baby

Post by Coney Island Baby »

KillerMime wrote: It was the look they were going for.? They deliberately wanted a sort of dream-like state where only the gangs and cops roamed the streets at night.? It definitely gives the movie a certain feel to it.

Precisely. It's vital in creating the slightly surreal, dream-like atmosphere that the movie has. The story takes place on the same New York streets that are bustling with people in the daytime, but at night it becomes another world, a nocturnal battlefield, where only the gangs of the city roam. Sometimes when I'm watching it, while the Warriors encounter the Orphans and the Furies, I think about the fact that there are people asleep in all the buildings around them, completely oblivious to the epic battle that's raging?outside.