Would this have added to the shock...???

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
Jesse

Would this have added to the shock...???

Post by Jesse »

No one except the rougues knew Cyrus was gonna die.. if the scenes of the gun being passed to luther and luther pulling the trigger werent there and you just see Cyrus getting shot out of no where... now u see and think what everyone else at the meeting saw and felt..."OMG...Cyrus was shot!"Dont get me wrong the movie is fine the way it is... that just bothered me! what do u think? :)
...Miracles is the way things ought to be.

stevo2k6

Re: Would this have added to the shock...???

Post by stevo2k6 »

people are making lame topics and running out of ideas thats wot i think lol
S.Ritson

Ninth Delegate

Post by Ninth Delegate »

I think it would have changed the whole veiwing experiance.  If we, the veiwer thought that it was the warriors that shot cyrus, we wouldnt be routing for them to make it home.  We would have thought the rogues were just another gang out to get a reward for wasting the warriors (with a bit more editing of the film).  The beach scene were we would finally learn that it was the rogues that shot cyrus would have had a bigger impact.

The removal of a few seconds of footage changes the whole perspective of the film.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.

adam88

Post by adam88 »

Like you said Ninth Delegate, we would not be so lenient.  In fact we would probably enjoy seeing the warriors being hunted down like dogs, if they did shoot Cyrus.  Based on their image, you know guys like Rembrandt and Cowboy, it would be weird to seem them assassinate someone, but lets not judge a book by its cover lol.  Instead of an underdog story about our anti heroes struggling in a harsh city to survive, we would just have a story of gang violence, and enjoy seeing the accused squirm their way out of this predicament.  When we figure out at the end that they were actually innocent you would not get that same feeling you get through out the adventure.  You would just get a feeling of sympathy, and have to alter your all mind set of The Warriors.  This is not a lame topic, its actually good.

back2coney

Post by back2coney »

It's an interesting angle. Though I feel there is a fundamental cinematic issue with such a lack of audience knowledge.
If your saying that Luther wouldn't have blamed Cleon, or at least we don't see it - then indeed we might not be able to support the Warriors during the movie.
If we didn't know who shot Cyrus then the film becomes a thriller more then an action movie.
But this movie is deliberately not psychologically heavy on the mind, it's the intensity and emotion culminated from a support of our innocent heroes the Warriors.
" Real tough mothers ain't ya! "

[img]http://looksy.co.uk/files/images/rare22_1_0.jpg[/img]

Cubs On The Red Carpet

Post by Cubs On The Red Carpet »

Jesse wrote: No one except the rougues knew Cyrus was gonna die.. if the scenes of the gun being passed to luther and luther pulling the trigger werent there and you just see Cyrus getting shot out of no where... now u see and think what everyone else at the meeting saw and felt..."OMG...Cyrus was shot!"Dont get me wrong the movie is fine the way it is... that just bothered me! what do u think? :)
that would of made me jump and cringe lol and would of shocked me, and would of put the audience watching the film in the same position as all the other gangs.
[align=center][img]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/maxboy45/jimihsigcopy.jpg[/img][/align]

Lion

Post by Lion »

I honestly think it would be like a French movie without that scene.....worthless!!!! The whole point was to see who shot Cyrus and why Luther desperately blames the Warriors.
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/METALTANK/squares.jpg[/img]

Coney Island Baby

Post by Coney Island Baby »

This is interesting. The Warriors as a murder mystery, a whodunit. Are they heroes or villains? Obviously the film works best the way it is, but the story is certainly open to being told from an angle like that.

Personally, I think you could still root for the Warriors if they had killed Cyrus, as long as they had a justified and deeply personal reason for doing it, like if Cyrus and the Riffs were responsible for killing some Warriors. Actually, I think the Warriors would have to be pretty nasty characters for us to not root for them given the situation they were in. We often root for assassins in other movies, but they have to be likeable. The Warriors were, the Rogues weren't because they blamed someone innocent for what they did and they seemed to kill Cyrus just for fun.

eliminator1

Post by eliminator1 »

It's an interesting idea, but then I think having Luther shouting his head off and falsely accuse the Warriors being the killers would give the game away, so they'd have to find another way to put the blame on the Warriors. Maybe have Luther pass it round the crowds, Chinese whispers style, although we wouldn't have to see that it's him spreading the story.

I think they should have given the Rogues more motivation for killing Cyrus than "'cause it's fun". Maybe Luther realises that if all the gangs do unite, the Rogues would not only still be small time players, but then with the added insult of following other people's orders. If they stop the union happening, they stay independent, and although they're still a minor league gang, they have a better chance of working their way to the top, and maybe being seen to help take down the Warriors would give them some false respect and boost their reputation.

Swan23

Post by Swan23 »

Ninth Delegate wrote:

The removal of a few seconds of footage changes the whole perspective of the film.
Exactly. Couldn't said it better.
[img]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7357/userbar3132643cz.gif[/img]
[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/Swan28/kokokay5.png[/img]

I need a new sig. :doubt:

warlord jp

Post by warlord jp »

stevo2k6 wrote: people are making lame topics and running out of ideas thats wot i think lol
Yeah the movie would had been more suspensfull, seeing as they were hundreds of gang members that could have done it. And stevo2k6....shut up already,youre really annoying. :evil: ;)

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

lemme rephrase... u only see cyrus getting shot out of no where the revealing the gun smoke scene!
...Miracles is the way things ought to be.

Kartoon

Post by Kartoon »

it would be intresting to edit the movie a little so you dont know who shot the gun, and show it to somone who has never seen it...see if there reaction is no longer for the warriors or not

9th Del is correct i think in the fact that...if you thought the warriors killed cyrus, it would be like watching a movie from the bad guy's view...the whole time you wanna see them get crushed.....

intresting to think about anyway....maybe somone should try it  :D
[center]
[img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/feb12banner.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/images/1000bar.jpg[/img]

stevo2k6

Post by stevo2k6 »

Scurvy Dog wrote: In another thread, quite some time ago, I speculated that the film would also be interesting if NONE of the Warriors made it back to Coney – if all of them had been killed along the way. The film would end right when Masai found out that it hadn’t been The Warriors who had shot Cyrus. Yes, it would be much darker and depressing and a different film altogether – but it still would be good.

Your idea combined with this – not knowing who shot Cyrus, combined with Luther’s accusation, and the Warriors’ demise and too-late absolution would make a GREAT film.
yes it would be good, and maybe have a differ moral to the story to, i think thats a good idea
S.Ritson