Late 70's / early 80's movies

The theatre is the only place to talk about movies!

Re: Late 70's / early 80's movies

Postby emissary » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:00 am

Along these lines...Does MaryEllen Moffit ring a bell?  Well, I saw a preview for a documentary during "shark Week"  And the voice over sounded familiar.  Then it all came crashing together.  The story of the documentary was told during the MaryEllen Moffit story.  -I expect SHM to at least know what I'm talking about. 
"When we see the ocean we figure we're home, we're safe."
emissary
Scout
Scout

Postby yids-warrior » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:53 pm

emissary wrote:Along these lines...Does MaryEllen Moffit ring a bell?  Well, I saw a preview for a documentary during "shark Week"  And the voice over sounded familiar.  Then it all came crashing together.  The story of the documentary was told during the MaryEllen Moffit story.  -I expect SHM to at least know what I'm talking about. 

"she broke my heart!hahahahaha"(hooper)
"whats that one?"(chief)
"oooh thats a tattoo i had it removed"(quint)
and what comes next it one of the alltime greatest scenes in movie history!(in my opinion)
unbelievable acting by robert shaw,i get goosebumps everytime!
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z290/yids78/yids-warrior.jpg[/img]
"i think we better go and have a look for ourselves!"
yids-warrior
Warrior

Postby emissary » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:06 pm

bingo!  Richard Dreyfuss was narrating this preview of a documentary about The Indianapolis.
"When we see the ocean we figure we're home, we're safe."
emissary
Scout
Scout

Postby yids-warrior » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 pm

yeah i have seen that documentary,you just cant imagine being in that kind of prediciment can you.
if you like that sort of stuff look out a book about the events of the indianapolis it's called
"in harms way" awsome read the navy just basically hung the captain out to dry!
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z290/yids78/yids-warrior.jpg[/img]
"i think we better go and have a look for ourselves!"
yids-warrior
Warrior

Postby Tantive7 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm so happy that there is a topic here,on films from the Late 70's / early 80's movies,and I wanted to start up this topic again,and get some of The members opinions of films I should checkout,I'm bored with the stuff That Hollywood has been putting out as of lates,so I am asking for your thoughts, Give me your ideas,and lets go from there
Tantive7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Suburban Warlord » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 pm

What sort of films are we talking about here. Gritty, action movies like "The Warriors", or just
any good films in general? IMHO, the 70's, in particular, was one of the greatest film decades
of all time.

Nice, new look for the forum btw. What happened to the Warriorsness? Still works tho.
Suburban Warlord

Postby Tantive7 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Suburban Warlord wrote:What sort of films are we talking about here. Gritty, action movies like "The Warriors", or just
any good films in general? IMHO, the 70's, in particular, was one of the greatest film decades
of all time.

Nice, new look for the forum btw. What happened to the Warriorsness? Still works tho.

I want to see everything in General,The Gritty to The undiscovered Gems that people forget about,and you can even throw in some Old School Martial Arts Movies to boot,as a matter of fact I was about to check out Smokey and The Bandit,cause I never seen it before,and I know that's not a Grindhouse Film,or is it?.
Tantive7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ninth Delegate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Five superfighters and Mad monkey kung fu are a couple of old skool Shaw brothers flicks that's worth a watch if you're in the mood. Their version of Fist of fury called Chinese boxer is decent. The same story is told in Legend of a fighter.
Sammo Hung's Enter the fat dragon is a good example of his early work.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.
Ninth Delegate

Postby Suburban Warlord » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm

"Smokey and the Bandit" was a major release back when, so I wouldn't call it Grindhouse.
Think "The Dukes of Hazard" in a movie form. (Although this is the type of movie that
ultimately inspired that TV show actually). I watched it again about 15 years ago, and
it was hard to watch. The humor was really corny and outdated to me. Still, it IS a classic.

One of my favorite "Kung-Fu Theatre" type flicks from the 70's is "Master of the Flying
Guillotine"! It just dosn't get much better than that.

Also "Enter the Ninja" (from 1980 I think) was one of the first big movie releases to kick
off the 80's "Ninja" craze, and features Sho Kosugi's first major appearance. The first
15 minutes of the film are reason enough to watch.
Suburban Warlord

Postby Ninth Delegate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I watched the ninja trilogy so many times as a kid. We used to think the main character from Enter the ninja was stormshadow from G.I.Joe because he wore a white ninja costume. Ninja 3: Domination, was the best of the trilogy. Topless Lucinda Dickie from Breakin, gets possessed by a dead ninja and takes revenge on the cops who shot him. Proper 80s cheese.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.
Ninth Delegate

Postby Suburban Warlord » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Proper indeed! Cheers :)
Suburban Warlord

Postby Suburban Warlord » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 am

Did someone order up some 80's style cheeze? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_1HJbMngE

This is so bad...well, it's just BAD.

Dig the desighner headbands, and the "Miami Vice" soundtrack towards the end.
Suburban Warlord

Postby Tantive7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 am

Suburban Warlord wrote:Also "Enter the Ninja" (from 1980 I think) was one of the first big movie releases to kick
off the 80's "Ninja" craze, and features Sho Kosugi's first major appearance. The first
15 minutes of the film are reason enough to watch.

I remember as a kid in school when the Ninja Craze was in full swing,kids in my school,in Brooklyn NY bringing in there nunchucks and Ninja Stars,and talking all this Ninja Magic bullshit with the hand gestures,OMG,Thank you for the laughs and making me remember this little flashback from my youth..thinking back on this now it's too funny,cause they could never get away with this now,Especially if you were to say that "Ninja Magic" Bullshit now,they would think that you were on Drugs now. LOL

Ninth Delegate wrote:I watched the ninja trilogy so many times as a kid. We used to think the main character from Enter the ninja was stormshadow from G.I.Joe because he wore a white ninja costume. Ninja 3: Domination, was the best of the trilogy. Topless Lucinda Dickie from Breakin, gets possessed by a dead ninja and takes revenge on the cops who shot him. Proper 80s cheese.

We need a separate topic on These Ninja Movies with a Top 5 selection of The Best Ninja Films Cheesy or not,I really want to Netflix these movies once this list goes up,the only one I seem to remember is American Ninja with Michael Dudikoff and the sequel. damn,what happen to his career?? To my friends,here put me on to some cool shit LOL

Suburban Warlord wrote:Proper indeed! Cheers :)

I love you brother!!

Suburban Warlord wrote:Did someone order up some 80's style cheeze? Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_1HJbMngE

This is so bad...well, it's just BAD.

Dig the desighner headbands, and the "Miami Vice" soundtrack towards the end.

OMFG!!! PURE 80's CHEESE HEAVEN

Where. Did you find this clip,you hear that. 80's music cheese in the background? OMG and what the fuck give with the bright color ninja suits,This is not The Power Rangers,and what the fuck gives with. The Ninja Headbands? I see so many jokes coming up with this,if there is anymore of this out there in the Internet universe,bring it or better yet drag it out into the light!! So we can make fun of it,and I don't got time for the Miami Vice music in the background
Tantive7
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 4nik8 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Tantive7 wrote:...and I don't got time for the Miami Vice music in the background
Aint nobody got time for that!
*****CI CONCLAVE '09*****
---Apache----Fox------Snow---Cleon---Vermin----Swan-----------4nik8...WHO?!?
4nik8

Postby Suburban Warlord » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Tantive7 wrote:OMFG!!! PURE 80's CHEESE HEAVENWhere. Did you find this clip,you hear that. 80's music cheese in the background? OMG and what the fuck give with the bright color ninja suits,This is not The Power Rangers,and what the fuck gives with. The Ninja Headbands? I see so many jokes coming up with this,if there is anymore of this out there in the Internet universe,bring it or better yet drag it out into the light!! So we can make fun of it,and I don't got time for the Miami Vice music in the background

Glad you enjoyed it. This clip is truly a spectacle of cringe-worthy horridness. Funny,
one of the first things I thought of too was "Power Rangers"! LOL

4nik8 wrote:
Tantive7 wrote:...and I don't got time for the Miami Vice music in the background
Aint nobody got time for that!

Generally agreed, although I do kind of dig "Crockett's Theme"... :oops:
Suburban Warlord

PreviousNext

Return to The Movie Theatre [Movie Chat]