The Rap Thread!!!

Hook up with other people who love music!

Re: The Rap Thread!!!

Postby MiddleMan07 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 am

Jigga Mans making a comeback, no more retirement for Brooklyns finest  8)

BTW: Real rap fans on this forum dont need all this explaining about hiphop, we know what it really is. You cant explain it, it IS mainsteam, thats what keeps it going, but then again you know nothing about hiphop unless you experience it first hand i.e going to to clubs, rap battles and keeping the underground scene alive etc. We know what we like and we know whats genuine. Its a state of mind.
Good.. Real Good.. The Best. [GOODFELLAZ CL1Q '20O6']
[BROUGHT THE FURIES INTERVIEW TO THE PUBL1C]
(fear the elite. New Forum Order.)
MiddleMan07
Warrior

Postby LIPPY » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:53 am

prozium wrote:
LIPPY wrote:
prozium wrote:I take pride in liking a lot of different music styles, from death metal to classical, and hip hop is no exception.

A lot of the MTV rap as I call it is terrible. Flat out terrible. It's killing music as a whole.

My favorite hip hop acst though are: Atmosphere, Dälek, Looptroop, General Patton vs. The Excecutioners and a few assorted others.

Dälek and Atmosphere are clear favorites though.

Solid. I LOVE hip-hop. As KRS 1 said, it's a way of life. B-Boy's, MC's, Grafitti artists and DJ's.

In my eyes, what we see on TV nowadays ISN'T hip-hop. That's something completely different. It's plastic. It's airbrushed. It's blinged up. It's filled with syrup and sugar, then packaged for all to consume. And consume they do... MTV ringtone pop rap is a bit like McDonald's... it's bad for you, but you just can't help yourself, can ya?!  :p

Warlord jp, you say you can't understand why a lot of us guys hate today's rap. Well, imagine eating a gigantic donut with a few friends, taking a bite now and then. Then imagine someone coming along and dumping a ton of icing on that donut and filling it with chocolate, just so that a million more people can have a bite... wait, why am I talking donuts?  :? I know what I mean anyway...  :doubt:

Thank you! Very smart post. I really like hip hop but like you said, what we see on MTV is not hip hop, it's manufactured by producers to make as much money as possible. It's not even music, it's a money making machine that's blinged out to the max. It's not even about music, it's about image. I could easily make a 50 cent song. EASILY. But as I said, it's about image.

I like your McDonalds analogy, it's very true :D I mean, it's terrible music, but I still dance to it at the clubs.

:lol: Yeah, but then nearly ANYTHING sounds good when you're off your trolley! Even trance... (I never said that, right?!  8-[ )

And Middleman, 'all this explaining' is necessary, especially when you have the younger generation believing that mainstream rap is what keeps hip hop going...  :doubt:

And that's coming from someone who likes to MC... and has been to more shows and battles than you've had hot dinners, sonny jim!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anybody says, you can listen to what you like. Each to their own. Just know that in the words of Public Enemy: "There's A Poison Goin' On"...
Last edited by LIPPY on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold your tongue...
LIPPY

Postby MiddleMan07 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:50 pm

and you think i havent? im still a kid, but i go to cabarets and clubs every weekend, and i know its a need to know basis, theres no use explaining it to a promediently rock forum, you can only figure it out yourself by getting involved in your local scene.
Good.. Real Good.. The Best. [GOODFELLAZ CL1Q '20O6']
[BROUGHT THE FURIES INTERVIEW TO THE PUBL1C]
(fear the elite. New Forum Order.)
MiddleMan07
Warrior

Postby LIPPY » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:29 pm

MiddleMan07 wrote:and you think i havent? im still a kid, but i go to cabarets and clubs every weekend, and i know its a need to know basis, theres no use explaining it to a promediently rock forum, you can only figure it out yourself by getting involved in your local scene.

I never said or thought you hadn't. Like you said though, you are still a kid... But you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.  :) I could go on about today's state of hip-hop until I'm blue in the face, but what would that get me?! Besides frustrated? You're right, this isn't the place...

Peace.
Last edited by LIPPY on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold your tongue...
LIPPY

Postby Kartoon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:57 pm

this whole thing is funny to me

ok first off

let me just say that i do agree that hiphop itself is kept alive by artist like the roots,talib,common,mos def and countless others. however to dis credit main stream rap is just un real. lol thats funny, come on. get for real. beacuse its mainstream it makes its not real? air brushed? lol lets get with it. why beacuse it changed? it didnt stay the same....it didnt stay in THE SOUTH BRONX's THE SOUTH SOUTH BRONX's? beacuse it got down to the bottom of the map? beacuse the b-boys sat down and the gold grills stood up? what if football never changed? what if hockey never added helmets? what if nintendo never worked on somthin bigger then NES?

hiphop just got bigger and changed more, sure some of its trash, but some of it was trash back then to. you cant dis credit what anyone is doing. alot of you know i have been on tours with the likes of people like THE OUTLAWZ, THE OUTSIDAZ, WON-G and many more. and these guys work to the bone every day and every night to go out and rock the mic. isnt that what its about? if your feelin talkin about your gold grill instead of somthin the roots would talk about, whats the big deal? just like there are rappers that do both, there are fans of both, and room for all artist. to discredit somones work, anyone even to dis credit somone like lil bow wow is un real. record a album, a real one...put every ounce you have into it. every dime in your pocket, hit the strip promote it. sell every copy, do show after show, go to rap battles. shop demo after demo. take the good comments hand and hand with the bad ones. then talk about .

as far as dumpin all the stuff on your doughnut, hey...some guys like um sweet

and then some guys like to just own the whole bakery and serve them all up

50 cent as a rapper, nah i cant take him ether

50 cent as a buisness man

diddy
jigga
fiffty
russle

and you cant deny these names, its bigger then hiphop. its the fact that....if you guys ran hiphop. we would have one style. one way to do things. vs now you can have the roots or krs one and have that cd right beside trick daddy and 50 cent. and it is what it is, you can like it all instead of breakin down somones work just beacuse public enemy told you to or krs one
[center]
[img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/feb12banner.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/images/1000bar.jpg[/img]
Kartoon

Postby warlord jp » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:48 pm

WOW!! Good point kartoon. Actually i was felling kind of alone in my music taste in here. But as long as i have love for it, as long as i like it, ... its all good. 8)
warlord jp

Postby prozium » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm

@Kartoon:
You make good points but there is a huge difference between evolving, and changing completely. In terms of evolution, I'm pleased as to where hip hop is going, from the avant garde, origional beats of General Patton vs. The x-ecutioners to the industrial, more musically focused Dälek, and the cynical but smart atmosphere. I have no problem with change.

Changing though, can you seriously argue that the reason artists such as 50 cent are so famous musically, isn't the actual music, it's because of an image. I'm not saying at all that the moment something becomes popular that it becomes bad, and I'm not saying mainstream rap is bad just on the principle of it being mainstream. It's because of what it is, or what it lacks rather.

Did you seriously think we were discrediting mainstream rap because it's popular? Franz Ferdinand are extremely popular but imo they still manage to make excelent, intelligent and origional music.
SUPER HAPPY PINEAPPLE MAN!

PLEASE RESIZE YOUR SIG TO THE CURRENT RULES

[img]http://www.marconelweb.it/thewarriors1979/images/UserBar/userbar_Punks.jpg[/img]
prozium

Postby Kartoon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:25 pm

wait, so these aguys are all big on a image, let me just say 50 cent had been around a while with the same image pre fame. a song blew him up, maybe the image kept him where he is at. but you dont think a certin image goes with all these non pop guys? talib,common,the roots,mos def,dead prez they all carry a image, no matter how you look at it. what makes somthing a good song to you? a pop song with no meaning except hitting the club cant be good? in da club wasnt a good song? by what level? what makes a krs one song rate over lil jon song? i have a good feeling as to what you will say, but i wonder why? what makes it like that? maybe i have a bigger respect for people that can make the whole party rock like busy b in the day, vs somone that could explain the struggle in so many words.
[center]
Kartoon

Postby swan_jax » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:37 am

i like beastie boys, busta rhymes,eminem, grand master flash and the furious 5 and tupac. they got some

and the best  PUBLIC ENEMY AND AFRIKKA BAMBAADAH!
Last edited by swan_jax on Fri May 25, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
swan_jax

Postby warlord jp » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:39 am

swan_jax wrote:i like beastie boys, busta rhymes,eminem,and tupac. they got some pretty good songs.

Hey swanjax, you like tupac, i like you ;). :lol:
warlord jp

Postby swan_jax » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:53 am

Hey swanjax, you like tupac, i like you ;). :lol:
[/quote]  yeah man tupac's tight. i like breathin and  thugs mansion. to bad hes dead. :doubt:
swan_jax

Postby prozium » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 am

Kartoon wrote:wait, so these aguys are all big on a image, let me just say 50 cent had been around a while with the same image pre fame. a song blew him up, maybe the image kept him where he is at. but you dont think a certin image goes with all these non pop guys? talib,common,the roots,mos def,dead prez they all carry a image, no matter how you look at it. what makes somthing a good song to you? a pop song with no meaning except hitting the club cant be good? in da club wasnt a good song? by what level? what makes a krs one song rate over lil jon song? i have a good feeling as to what you will say, but i wonder why? what makes it like that? maybe i have a bigger respect for people that can make the whole party rock like busy b in the day, vs somone that could explain the struggle in so many words.

Yes of course mos def and so on have an image, the point I've been trying to make is that it irritates me when an image is purely manufactured for the purose to make money.

I don't know who krs is but why for example Dälek would rate over lil jon, for one, intelligent lyrics. I'm not saying lyrics MAKE a song but when it's mindless bitches and hoes rap we've heard over and over again. Second, the actual music. Not just a generic backround beat but music that has more structure and diversity.

But as you pointed out, you've got more respect for someone who can "rock the party", I've got more respect for someone who can show a lot of diversity and origionality in their music. So theres not much point in arguing more. Might as well finish with two wee quotes: "Angels to some, demons to others" and, "Whatever floats your boat" :)
SUPER HAPPY PINEAPPLE MAN!

PLEASE RESIZE YOUR SIG TO THE CURRENT RULES

[img]http://www.marconelweb.it/thewarriors1979/images/UserBar/userbar_Punks.jpg[/img]
prozium

Postby Kartoon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:48 pm

i just basicly think that the rating scale should fit all people. again you rate lil jon lover then him, others may not.  let me add that im really happy your such a hiphop fan that you love the guys who are still doing it to do it. i love those guys, i just defend all sides, if you would have gone the other way, i would be defending your guys right now ;)

KRS-ONE you should check out if thats the kinda stuff you like, he is a hiphop legend and god.

let me just add that, you cant sit and know for sure a label isnt manufacturing this image of pure hiphop, alot of these guys sign to the same label.

but as i said before, any music is good music if you like it

p.s.

i dont respect the guy who rocks the party harder then the guy who can get deeper on a song. i take it all on a song by song base. not artist by artist
[center]
Kartoon

Postby Storm86 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:10 am

my favorite rapper is Weird Al, his flow is awesome on white and nerdy :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok now that that is out of my system. I have really gotten into my local rap scene as of late it just seem be more real when you know the area they are talking about Bukshot is prolly the single biggest rapper from the ville, but Hostile, KD,Nappy Roots, are all right behind him

and look out for S-co getting a major record deal soon
[img]http://www.duallegacy.com/toon/linkfile/warriors/storm.jpg[/img]
Storm86
Scout
Scout

Postby Nite Run » Thu May 24, 2007 6:29 am

cool music
Last edited by Nite Run on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/2jbk2ef.jpg[/img]
Nite Run

PreviousNext

Return to The Radio Station [Music Chat]