Movie or Book( not a poll)

Discuss the novel by Sol Yurick upon which the movie is based.

Movie or Book( not a poll)

Postby Orphen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:56 pm

What do you like best, movie or book.
Personally I can't decide.
Orphen

Re: Movie or Book( not a poll)

Postby Warrior_Swan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:06 pm

I can't really compare the two... while the story is basically the same, the way they are handled is wildly different. I feel that they're actually in different genres. While the movie is in the action / adventure genre, I find the book to more or less be in thrillers / horror. It's a lot darker, more serious, and if you pay close attention to lot of the wording and imagery Yurick uses to describe his world through the eyes of young men far from home, it's really quite creepy. The movie is more or less a fun film.
Nobody lip off... nobody get hot.

Add my film page on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/box_office_failures
Warrior_Swan

Postby Warlord Bandit » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:41 pm

I like the movie better, it has vision. I've just finished the book, toke all my time but it was worth
it. But reall its the same to me. Its hal and half.
[color=gray]Those was some desperate dudes!
Hey so were we![/color]
Warlord Bandit

Postby Cowboy606 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:04 am

theyre deffinitely too different to compare, but as far as which one i enjoyed more? id have to say the movie. although it would be awsome if they released a movie based strictly on the book.
We Are The Underrated, All Forgotten, Kids Who Made It. Speak Up Now, Lose Or Get, Left Behind.
Cowboy606

Postby adam88 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 pm

Well the movie gives us more of an altered reality, which make it seem like a world in which no one exists but gangs.  A more futuristic(but not really) world in which your wildest demons come to life, were the book focuses more of the racial issues of the 60's.  So there both intirely on two diifferent levels.
adam88

Postby ajaxfanatic » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:26 pm

its not often that i pick up a book and MUST finish it the same month!
im not a motivated person when it comes to reading. but if i find a fab book, and i mean really fab, i get motivated!
this is one of those

having said that, i prefer the gang name 'warriors' 'dominators' sounds lame

i prefer that half the warriors (slightly more) are white in the film.
not a racial issue but rather cultural. i dont usually enjoy 'black gangsta' films
i love it how it is

WHAT I WOULD CHANGE ABOUT THE MOVIE
i hate that ajax, (hotttest man alive) gets caught
i hate that cleon dies. he was hot! and a good character....
i kept feeling like at the end, somehow ajax, cleon, and fox would reunite with the others and i was shellshocked to NOT see that happen!

the book has a 'clockwork orange' type feel with all the ultra violence
!
thats my 2 cents

ps i hate that fox is out of it so quick in the movie also. i would have prefered him and mercy to get it on as originally planned but i heard in the doco that the actor bailed!
ajaxfanatic

Postby Honey Lips Soldier » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:13 pm

/\ /\ Back to the Proving Grounds, Newblood.
I agree that the book and film are far too different to compare - the book has a lot of depth about growing up and what really proves who you are as a person, whereas the film has this great struggle against all odds and a search for hope in even the darkest subways of New York.
Too different to compare and I love each as a film and a book.
xox
~byw'r foment~
~live the moment~
Honey Lips Soldier

Postby the wigan warrior » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Warlord Bandit wrote:I like the movie better, it has vision. I've just finished the book, toke all my time but it was worth
it. But reall its the same to me. Its hal and half.

I havn't read the book yet (cant find it anywhere :evil: ) I read Jaws however, and the movie was sooo much beter so i can see where your coming from..  To me reading doesn't have the same kind of tension as a movie, theres no kick ass camera angles. In my opinion seeing what is happening is better than picturing it.
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/66ext/2wfn1qu.jpg[/img]
the wigan warrior
Warrior

Postby Swan 1979 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 am

The movie you can feel the stress the worry and the struggle to get all the way back to coney.
Swan 1979

Postby pierangler » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:37 am

I like the detailed descriptions in the book.  A much darker version of the story.  The dark tunnel part, the Times Square, and the end of the book with the description of his tenement apartment were really good.
[center][img]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/pierangler/furiessig.jpg[/img][center]
pierangler

Postby papa arnold » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:30 pm

Swan 1979 wrote:The movie you can feel the stress the worry and the struggle to get all the way back to coney.
have you even read the book-because when you read it you'l find that words can express more about whats happening than actions
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6373/20255849yq4.jpg[/img][/url]AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE PAPA ARNOLD SAYS SO!!!!!
papa arnold

Postby doyle » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:50 am

I surely prefere the movie, I love it to death, not the same feeling for the book.
[url=http://www.marconelweb.it/thewarriors1979][img]http://www.marconelweb.it/imgForum/modern_doyle.jpg[/img][/url]
doyle

Postby Honey Lips Soldier » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:02 pm

the wigan warrior wrote:
Warlord Bandit wrote:To me reading doesn't have the same kind of tension as a movie, theres no kick ass camera angles. In my opinion seeing what is happening is better than picturing it.

...I don't know about anyone else here, but I always see kick-ass camera angles when I read the book, any book. And when I read a book I actually feel the tension rather than just watch it, I guess I can connect more with the book and the film.
But I still love films and I love The Warriors, and I know that I'll read the book again and watch the film again so it's still even for me. I love them both so much.

xox
~byw'r foment~
~live the moment~
Honey Lips Soldier

Postby Gezza » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 am

I havent read the book :shock: but from what ive heard about it, its suppose to be GREAT! :D
a friend of mine was trying to persway me to read the book but at the time i was reading a different book and havent gotten around to reading it.
So im forced to say the Movie but ussaly books are better than the movie but i think the bar is raised pretty high for Sol Yurick to beat the movie!! :roll:
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Gezza01/fableandhalogezzado.jpg[/img]
[color=red]That that dont kill me can only make me stronger.[/color]
Gezza

Postby Hector » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:23 pm

As everyone has said, it's simply too hard to compare. But I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, and I felt sorry for Sol Yurick. See, if you've read the introduction in the 2003 version of the book, it has a section where Sol Yurick talks about how he came to writing 'The Warriors' and what happened after. And if you've read it near the end, Yurick explains that Walter Hill and that Lawrence guy, lied to him, telling him that the movie was going to be strictly based on the book, later making a mass of changes that made it completely different.

But IMO, I can't decide on which is better.
[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/Nickpenno212/SinCity3.jpg[/img]
Hector

Next

Return to Book