When and how did you get your first copy of 'The Warriors'?

For comments about The Warriors that don't fit in the categories above.
Riff

Post by Riff »

This question is aimed at everyone but it will probably be the older members who like myself had to wait to get their hands on a copy.

It seem's strange now as it is so easy to get a film on DVD or just download it, but back in the early 80's it wasn't so easy to get a copy of a film. The easiest way was to record it off the TV but you obviously have to wait for a channel to show it, it took years for 'The Warriors' to be shown on normal UK TV, I think it must have been the late 80's, correct me if I'm wrong.

It was almost impossible to buy an original VHS copy of a film back then, they were really expensive, like £70, unless you were lucky enough to have a video rental shop that was selling one cheaper.

I had to wait until about 1983/4 to get my first copy, some guy I went to school with had rich parents and they had some expensive cable film channel, which nobody had, anyway it showed 'The Warriors' so I gave him a video tape and he recorded it for me, I must have watched the tape so many times.

It felt amazing to actually have my own copy that I could watch when I wanted.
Who are The Warriors, there must be some word...

War-Lord

Re: When and how did you get your first copy of 'The Warrior

Post by War-Lord »

I was real into gangs movies awhile back ago. So I was asking my dad what he thought would be good. He told me about a movie called "The Warriors" that he watched when he was younger with a friend. So me and him searched high and low and could not find it. Finally we went to the mall one day and there was the special edition DVD. I have been hooked ever since.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2621/userbar722623.gif[/img][/url]
Xbox Live GT: GageIsLegend

Ninth Delegate

Post by Ninth Delegate »

I saw my first copy during the early eighties home video boom.  It was on betamax format.  I think the dude behind the counter recommended it to us, as we had previously rented the deathwish films and another new york gang fim which I cant remember the name of (a small group being chased in an apartment block by a gang; may have been called enemy turf.)  I was really impressed by the flick.  I have recollections of trying to paint a Han Solo toy to look like a warrior.  I had the honour of being the first person in school to see this film and had to get all my friends to watch it (took weeks of constant bugging).  Bought my own vhs copy in the early 90's.  It was the blue cover cic release, full screen pan and scan.  I watched it that many times, the sound went a bit awry and could only be watched if you turned the tv volume up really high.  Replaced it with the version that has fugitive instead of nowhere to run.  Late 90's, BBC 2 channel showed it on the moviedrome film season.  It was shown as a double bill with La Haine.  This was the first oportunity to see it in widescreen AND they included the daylight beggining (no other scenes included tho). Year 2000, I managed to catch it on the big screen as part of a walter hill weekend (driver was the other film shown).  Picked up the first 2 dvds on day of release (didnt bother with the third as the only difference was a fold out movie poster that I already had).  Ive been a warriors fan roughly 26/27 years.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.

Riff

Post by Riff »

I remember when BB2 showed the film in the late 90's, I already had the original VHS but thought they might show it in widescreen format so put a decent tape in to record it, I was so glad I did!!

I just couldn't believe what I was seeing when that daylight intro started, it just blew me away to think there was this whole scene I had never seen, I was convinced when watching the film that there were other bits I had not seen here and there, but realise now the rest was the same.

I always liked to hear what the guys introducing the films were gonna say as well.

Ninth Delegate

Post by Ninth Delegate »

Riff wrote:
I always liked to hear what the guys introducing the films were gonna say as well.

I liked the original presenter (Alex Cox) as he seemed to show a passion for the films being shown.  HIs replacement (Mark Cousins) always come across as some university student reading from someone elses prepared notes.  Heres the link to the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lMASwez0Y
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.

Riff

Post by Riff »

Yeah I still got the intro on tape, I kept the intro's for a few films I taped from BBC2.

the london warrior

Post by the london warrior »

a few years back my dad was clearing out loads of old vids and to my surprise the warriors was there! :shock: 8)
Iv'e got the directors cut but I will keep the tape; kind of centimental and nice to see the origional version
rip marcelino sanchez 1957~1986

viletwood

Post by viletwood »

a long time ago, maybe, for i have forgotten the certain time, bought from an online shop, not amazon, let me see, something like dvdorderonline, whatever.
The Simpsons Season 19 DVD Boxset,$28.99
Walt Disney\'s 100 Years Of Magic DVD Boxset,$136.99
where you can buy such bargain? login dvdorderonline, and then get your answer.

canyoucount

Post by canyoucount »

Probably 5 or 6 yrs ago, I was at this huge farmer's market, which is popular with us Philadelphians, who like to escape to near-by Penn Dutch country now and then.

I'm looking through this guy's thousands of tapes for whatever and... there it was.  It was a little beat up, but, ehhh, 3 bucks? it'll work.

Recently, buddy of mine, another Warriors fan, looked at the cassette and noticed one of the corners was melted a little.  Guessed the previous owner had a fire, but the tape was spared.
"Look at me!  I'm the one who did this to you!  Remember me."

"You didn't walk with Jojo, you walked among him.  If you stared at him long enough, you could watch him grow fatter by the hour."

taino78

Post by taino78 »

it was maybe mid to late 80's i was a youngster but i knew the movie like a cast member. went 2 k-mart with my father and saw it on a rack with other movies and snatched it without blinking.

furiesunleahed

Post by furiesunleahed »

i remeber watching it about 10yrs ago now ia am 18 yrs.the first copy was random cause my mom comes home woth a bag of movies and all i here is the intro song playing and i rushed into the room and fiendishly  :lol: took the dvd to my room and watch with happiness and went to sleep a happy boy  :D
http://stashbox.org/779417/claudioairplaneslammorishima.gif

Ninja

Post by Ninja »

well, i didnt really get a copy. my dad recorded it when it first showed on television. i loved it untill my dad lost it :cry:
i love you Freddy :D

nazzac

Post by nazzac »

Online around 2 year a go. I had seen it on TV befoe that so i wanted to get it on dvd.
Nazzac The Living Legend: http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11962.0

The Bangers(F): http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10828.0

FURIES:Their Story(F): http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10754.0

Snow24

Post by Snow24 »

I had watched it when i was a kid in the late 80's and when i got my first dvd player i went out that same day before i even open the dvd player and searched for it and i had to go to 5 different stores till i found the original dvd... I love it

Scaley

Post by Scaley »

My brother bought me a VHS copy when it first came out in the eighties (I think!) and sent it over to Germany (where I was posted with the Army at the time) for my birthday. That tape used to get played to death as it's a great film to watch with your mates especially after a night out. I actually lent it to a guy called Mckitterick, who was convinced that Cowboy was his distant cousin,who then got posted out before I could get it back. So if you're out there I STILL WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!