Wonder Wheel - Coney Island

For comments about The Warriors that don't fit in the categories above.

Wonder Wheel - Coney Island

Postby Riff » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 am

Hello All,

Not sure where to post this, hopefully it will be ok here.

I am planning to visit NYC in a few months time and would really like to get some photos in Coney Island in front of the Wonder Wheel, so a few questions...

1. First off, is the Wonder Wheel still there?

2. What is Coney Island like as a neighbourhood, is it safe to wander about? Please bear in mind I am from the UK so I don't know NYC, plus I will have my girlfriend with me, she wont thank me for taking her somewhere dangerous.

3. I will be staying in Manhatten so I presume it's going to be a subway journey down to Coney, how long would that take? Also, how far is the walk from Stillwell Ave to the Wonder Wheel?

I suppose this will be aimed at any NYC/US members on here, but anybody that has any advice please let me know...
Riff

Re: Wonder Wheel - Coney Island

Postby Riff » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:50 am

Would also add, if I make the trip down there is there anything else worth checking out whilst I am there?
Riff

Postby triscender » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

it is the most safe to go during the day. from manhattan coney island is about an hour by train. to walk to the wonder wheel from stillwell ave train station is no more than 10 minutes. there was a filming location on the way to coney island at 62 st and 15 ave. you can take the D train to 62 st. this station is also seen in the film. 62 st and 15 ave is where the orphans scene was filmed and the cocktail bomb used. it still looks the same. you can visit the theater where the warriors 2009 conclave was held, they might have some photos up. its near a tattoo shop that has a large warbird painting outside. there are a group of fans in coney island called "the warriors" that wear warriors vests. you might see them. stop by nathans for a hot dog and walk the boardwalk. theres a mini theme park over there and a baseball stadium for the local team called the cyclones, which in my opinion should be the warriors. hope this helps!
triscender

Postby katedoll » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 pm

cool! i'm currently planning a trip to NYC too, next year. have fun Riff.
katedoll

Postby Riff » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 pm

it is the most safe to go during the day

Thanks for the replies.

Not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying it is safe during the day, or just a bit safer than going at night so still risky?

Do you know if that big Warriors mural is still there?
Riff

Postby 4nik8 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Riff wrote:
it is the most safe to go during the day

Thanks for the replies.

Not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying it is safe during the day, or just a bit safer than going at night so still risky?

Do you know if that big Warriors mural is still there?

These days, there are so many people and so many police, the main area is fine, doncha think?
*****CI CONCLAVE '09*****
---Apache----Fox------Snow---Cleon---Vermin----Swan-----------4nik8...WHO?!?
4nik8

Postby TheSurgeon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 pm

you;ll be fine. During the day is better, not because its safer, its because you will see more. I wouldn't presume it was 'unsafe' after dark.
Its an hour at most from manhatten.
I'm sure you'll have a great time, and dont forget to post your pics.
TheSurgeon

Postby Riff » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey thanks for the replies.

An hour by subway from Manhatten, damn thats more than I figured, NYC is obviously bigger than I thought. Although I suppose it's not much different from going across London on the tube from end to end which would take 45 minutes plus.

I read soemwhere that there is a big Russian/Ukrainian community living there now, which was a suprise.

I really want to get pics of the Wonder Wheel and Cyclone, plus the boardwalk and any Warriors related murals if I can find any. Oh yeah and a pic on the Stillwell Ave subway platform.
Riff

Postby ILLER... » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 pm

the pictures sound great already
ILLER...

Postby turnbull gbr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

If.....when you go on the Wonder Wheel you should take a pic of the boardwalk from above that would be awesome.
turnbull gbr

Postby Nuck Forbert » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 pm

TheSurgeon wrote:During the day is better, not because its safer, its because you will see more.

No doubt that's true, but if I was making this trip, I'd also consider the fact that after dark is when you'd see the wheel in its lit-up state, which is more iconic from a Warriors point of view.

Assuming the lights are still the same as they were when the film was made, obviously. For all I know it could resemble an explosion at a Froot Loops factory these days.
Nuck Forbert

Postby triscender » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

yes what nick says is true
triscender

Postby LIER ONE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

The WONDER WHEEL and CYCLONE are the only two things left from when our flick was filmed. Pretty much everything up to NATHANS has been torn down. The city and a private developer are in a struggle for the land, with each having their own "vision". There is a small amusement park (that will be a little bigger this year) on one parcel of land, but most of CONEY ISLAND is vacant lots. The MTA re-did the subway station a couple of years ago, so that might not be what you remember. Like a lot of places in this great city, it is safe, day and night if you know how to handle yourself. Don't bring attention to yourself or act stupid and you will be fine. By the boardwalk, amusements and the beach, there are tons of people and police until pretty late at night, so it is safe. The subway station is not far from that so your walk back is OK too. There are riff-raff, but be diligent and you will be OK.
LIER ONE

Postby Riff » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks for the response Lier One.

I had read the Subway Station had been renovated a couple of years back, as long as I can get a shot on the platform with the Stillwell Ave sign behind me then I will be happy.

I notice a few people mention that there are loads of police in the city, has there been some kind of inititive to get more police on the street or something?

I took a look on Google maps and could see that the subway station is only a block or so from the Wonder Wheel etc so that's cool.

Do you know if any of the area where you see the Rogues drive there car through Coney at the end of the movie is still there, just before Luthers 'Come out to play' scene, or is that what you mean when you said it has all been torn down?
Riff

Postby Ninth Delegate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm not sure whats left of that part of coney where luthers car comes around the corner, as some of the stalls were set on fire last year. Up until the fire, the place was still recognisable. There's footage of the fire on youtube.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.
Ninth Delegate

Next

Return to General Warriors Chat