Howdy soldiers

Forum for new members to introduce themselves.
Nuck Forbert

Howdy soldiers

Post by Nuck Forbert »

So let me introduce myself. My name's Nuck Forbert, but y'all can call me Nuck. Calling me Arthur would just be weird.

I first became a fan of The Warriors via the videogame on Playstation 2, around five years ago. I'd been waiting a long time for a modern game that might capture the spirit of the old Streets of Rage series, and this brawling adventure from Rockstar Toronto seemed like it might be the answer. I'd never even heard of the movie till reading about the game.

Understanding that the first few levels served as a prequel to the events of the movie, which would then be recreated in the later stages, I bought the DVD and watched it when I reached that point in the game. So I had all the backstory going in, knew the characters to some extent, and was already caught up in the attitude and atmosphere of The Warriors. After watching the movie I then of course resumed the game and played through the chase across New York City before defeating Luther on the beach in the final level.

One effect this had on my experience of the film was a greater attachment to Cleon, who had been a central part of the videogame up until this point. So when he was killed early in the movie, I probably cared more about his death than audiences who came into the movie "cold" at the opening credits. After all, they'd only been watching him on screen for a few minutes before he snuffed it.

The PS2 game, also available on the original Xbox, was in my eyes the best film-to-game conversion of all time, narrowly outjockeying GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64. I'm glad however that I didn't get around to downloading the more recent Xbox Live Arcade game, The Warriors: Street Brawl, which by all accounts is a big letdown. There was really no need to develop a new sidescrolling beat-em-up for the franchise anyway, when Rockstar's original included its own Final Fight clone as an unlockable extra.

What's led to my current burst of enthusiasm for The Warriors is finally finding the time to read the novel by Sol Yurick, the source material for the movie. I didn't go into it expecting an exact blueprint for the screen version, fortunately, as browsing through this forum I think that has been the sticking point in a lot of people's judgement of the book. I had a fair inclination that the characters and plot would differ slightly, forming only the basis for what I'd encountered on the DVD. Still, even going in with an open mind, I was shocked by some of the plot developments that I hadn't anticipated - starting with the outcome of the meeting.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, and I'm glad I stuck with it after finding the writing style initially hard to appreciate in the first chapter. I soon came to realise that Yurick's casual tone was a clever device that enhanced immersion and captured the scene better than a straight narrative could. He allowed me to see the world through the Dominators' eyes, even after some of their more outrageous actions had shattered the innocent and protective view I'd had towards them. And despite those serious transgressions, by the purposely anticlimactic end I had either maintained or regained a sense of understanding for these characters.

It seems a few people take issue with that ending, taking the view that the gang's journey has amounted to nothing and the challenges they've faced have been undermined without a satisfactory conclusion. But unlike the movie which was always building towards a final showdown as the focal point, I believe the intention of the novel is to reflect on everything that led to that "triumphant" return to Coney Island. It's about what the journey, not the destination, meant for each of the characters. To quote the topically named Miley Cyrus: "Ain't about what's waiting on the other side; it's the climb."

Yes, I just used Disney's Hannah Montanna to review a novel about rape and murder in the gangland streets of New York. I can see the pride bursting out of Mickey's round face while I type.

But now we're up to speed. That's what's brought me here to this forum and led me to impose this novel of my own upon your unsuspecting Proving Grounds. Hello. Nice site. Hope you can sort out the spammers, but good. :wink:

4nik8

Re: Howdy soldiers

Post by 4nik8 »

Now that is a frighteningly impressive freshman missive

Just one question: whatcha got against Norbert?!
*****CI CONCLAVE '09*****
---Apache----Fox------Snow---Cleon---Vermin----Swan-----------4nik8...WHO?!?

ILLER...

Post by ILLER... »

is playing a videogame always this much of production w/ you?

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

ILLER... wrote:is playing a videogame always this much of production w/ you?
Hell yes. When first playing Sonic 2 I stopped before the Death Egg to watch the original Star Wars trilogy and wrote a thesis comparing Dr Robotnik and Darth Vader. It went down a treat on the Web's third largest Hedgehog-Ewok crossover fan forum.

Thank you 4nik8. Who's Norbert? Dude's got a lame-ass name whoever he is.

Dud

Post by Dud »

Hah, I believe 4nik was referring to the fact that if you swap the first two letters of the words in your username, you come up with a pretty unpleasant message towards "Norbert".

But yeah, welcome. Always good to see a new face, and if this post is anything to go by, you'll certain contribute to the forum. 8)

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

Dud wrote:Hah, I believe 4nik was referring to the fact that if you swap the first two letters of the words in your username, you come up with a pretty unpleasant message towards "Norbert".
You know, I think you may be onto something there. Thanks for the welcome. :wink:

I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but why does the site host two separate forums? Did they originate on different sites and just end up moving here independent of each other? Sorry if I'm treading on a minefield of some kind, I hope it's not a contentious issue, I just naturally wondered when I found them both on the main menu.

Ninth Delegate

Post by Ninth Delegate »

The game forum was created at a later date and was intended to keep the game fans who had no knowledge of the movie from cluttering up the movie forum with non-cannon facts.

BTW I dig the fact your avatar has a sol yurik novel connection.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Welcome to the site Nuck, you sound like more of a gamer, but whatever as long as you dig the movie as well.

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

I like the game and the movie and the book. I just happened to discover the game first, as in general those do enter my field of vision ahead of the other two media.

Were it not for the game I probably still wouldn't know about the film and novel, but it doesn't mean I like them any less.

4nik8

Post by 4nik8 »

Nuck Forbert wrote:
ILLER... wrote:is playing a videogame always this much of production w/ you?
Hell yes...
Taken in stride!

If you end up spending any appreciable time here, you'll quickly learn that almost all of ILLER...'s post have some degree of negativity

Even he'd agree (assuming he's in one of his better moods!)

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

It's refreshing to find anywhere on the Internet where negativity might be the exception rather than the rule. I hope to stick around and add to that positivity, if I can just find enough excuses to rack up ten posts in this otherwise barren Proving Ground purgatory.

4nik8

Post by 4nik8 »

Nuck Forbert wrote:...if I can just find enough excuses to rack up ten posts in this otherwise barren Proving Ground purgatory.
Please answer the following four questions, each in their own post

1. What's yer favorite color?

2. Do you like dogs?

3. Have you ever found an eyeball in a can of tuna?

4. What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

Well it would be rude not to...
4nik8 wrote:1. What's yer favorite color?
Neon green.

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

4nik8 wrote:2. Do you like dogs?
I like dogs but I prefer cats. If I was leading a gang of domestic animals and strategising a raid, it's the cats I would turn to for advice, before sending in the dogs to do the grunt work.

Nuck Forbert

Post by Nuck Forbert »

4nik8 wrote:3. Have you ever found an eyeball in a can of tuna?
I don't eat tuna, but you've piqued my greedy interest with the prospect of suing for compensation upon eyeball discovery. I'm buying fifty tins first thing tomorrow.