DOUBLE FEATURE WITH THE WANDERERS @ New Beverly Cinema in LA

Leave your comments and messages about the 1979 cult movie.
CAN YOU DIG IT

Re: DOUBLE FEATURE WITH THE WANDERERS @ New Beverly Cinema i

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Ahhhhhhhh Good Morning !!!

What a great Warriors Night !!!

Director Walter Hill, Executive Producer Frank Marshall, Producer Larry Gordan, Star James Remar "Ajax", & Star Joel Weiss "Cropsey" were all in attendance !!!

There was an amazing Q & A before the movie with all 5 co stars and a Q & A after the movie minus Walter Hill, Walter did not stay for the movie. He left after the first Q & A...

BOTH Q & A' s WERE VIDEO TAPED AND WILL BE PUT UP ON YOUTUBE, AT LEAST 45-50 MIN OF CLASSIC CONVERSATION BETWEEN THE CAST...

Most notable, Walter Hill saying "If I could change one thing about the movie, It would have to be having Ajax gotten out of that somehow and making it back home"...and James Remar's response to Walter Hill: With respect to this being a mythical and the greek mythological ordinance of it, Lets just say this has been an odyssey, this move was made 30 plus years ago, and "Ajax is home Walter"...and the crowd erupts in applause.

So I will get all the video posted as soon as I can.

But until then, here's a little review with some pics.

Enjoy

8)

So my wife and I get down to the New Beverly Cinema for this insane double feature about 4:30pm. There are 8 people already lined up and there are a few people waiting in the "standby line" just incase tickets become available due to tonights event being sold out...

I'm in full furies dress and looking like this insane person to all the jewish males young and old who are getting out of or going to temple right arcoss the street....pretty classic, some dug it some didnt....who cared. I was having a blast, I had tossed back a few cold ones and had a few shots, so im in full mode !!!

I took alot of pics with people, fans, employees of the New Beverly Cinema, young, old, it was pretty cool...

So around 6pm as dusk set in, the lights light up at the cinema, the line's are getting longer, tickets are being giving out to those who purchased in advanced and were waiting around and Joel Weiss who plays "cropsey" from the rogues showes up and is just the coolest dude...He takes some pics with Laurie & I and later "thanks to my wife" hooks me up with an 8x10 photo and signs (the front) of my Warriors vest for free...So with all the none warriors gang members being here, I have now turned the front of my Warriors vest over to them...makes cents

ImageImage
ImageImage

So we get inside the theatre and were in our seats (front row center) and I get word that James Remar is in the theatre and I need to get my vest and pic autographed, so I head back up to the lobby and there he is "AJAX" !!! So I go up to him and he's just the coolest dude ever and signs my vest and loves the pic of Vermin & Ajax that I got from Vermin at the Conclave a couple of years back and remembers the day it was took and we talk and it was badd ass...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So I get back inside, kickin in my seat, check out our forum to see whats going on...checking out the Warriors website while waiting to see the Warriors, while waiting for the Warriors stars to do the first Q & A is pretty F**KING COOL !!!

So Edgar Wright who put the week long festival comes out and brings out all the guest stars and it's such a awesome moment in Warriors History. Everybody talks about there roles in the movie and the making of tyhe movie, to see Walter Hill talk about the movie, cause he doesnt really like doing these types of things, is just amazing...You will understand more once you see for yourselfs.

Both Edgar and James make references towards me a few times about The Furies being in the house, and from what Im told, Nobody has ever dressed for one of these Warrior screenings before !!! I was blown away...

ImageImage
ImageImage

So as the Q & A was wrapping up, I got up and went up the right isle and waited for Walter Hill. I needed to get his signature on my vest. What I had been told by EVERYBODY was that he doesnt do autographs and if he said no, dont be suprised or disapointed...

So as he came up the isle, I asked him and he HAD NO PROBLEM giving me his signature !!!

Now I said before that that ALL none Warrior Gang Members would only get to sign the front of my vest. BUT when the man who made it all happen agrees to sign your vest, HE GETS TO SIGN WITH ALL THE OTHER WARRIORS !!!

So after that, we viewed the movie and in 35mm it was just like being there over 30 years ago.

The 2nd Q & A was just as amazing as the 1st. Edgar brought out an Email from David Patrick Kelly who playes Rouges Leader Luther and could not be there, Edgar read it outloud to the audience. It gave special thanks to Walter Hill and the cast and fans for everything, it was very cool.

So after the 2nd Q & A laurie and I packed our stuff and took off....The Wanderers, seen it. Plus where going back tonight and The Wanderers plays 1st, so will see it tonight.

Thanks to all the Warriors cast that gave us fans a real great evening !!!

AND A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO MY WIFE LAURIE FOR GOING AND BEING APART OF THE WARRIORS FAMILY !!! LOVE YOU MAMASITA !!!

SIGNATURES ON MY WARRIORS VEST TO DATE:
SWAN
AJAX
CLEON
SNOW
VERMIN
FOX
MERCY
CROPSEY
WALTER HILL
FRANK MARSHALL
LARRY GORDAN

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Canyoudigit, you r tha man! Great post, ranks up there with Tantive 7's run in with Remar. Thanks for the post and pics.

Ninth Delegate

Post by Ninth Delegate »

Walter Hill must be in a really positive mood just lately. He did a Q&A session at the New Beverly last monday for a screening of the Driver.
Interesting quote from Walter to how he approaches scripts and filming....

"I very purposely - more and more so every time I do a script - give characters no back story. The way you find out about these characters is by watching what they do, the way they react to stress, the way they react to situations and confrontations. In that way, character is revealed through drama rather than being explained through dialogue."

Awesome review of your night, CYDI. I bet theres so many things that you thought to ask after you had left but couldn't think of when you got the chance. As we old brits used to say, I doff my cap to you, Sir.
Did anyone ask about those photo's Tantive 7 aquired with Ajax on the train with a lizzie? (I remember 4nik8 getting Michael Beck's perspective on the subject).
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.

CAN YOU DIG IT

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Ninth Delegate wrote: I bet theres so many things that you thought to ask after you had left but couldn't think of when you got the chance. As we old brits used to say, I doff my cap to you, Sir.
Did anyone ask about those photo's Tantive 7 aquired with Ajax on the train with a lizzie? (I remember 4nik8 getting Michael Beck's perspective on the subject).

I really didnt want to ask anything, Im not that kinda person, didnt at the 09 conclave either...my wife asked what I was going to ask and what I was thinking about asking.

My main thing was my vest and the pic of ajex & vermin, getting both signed. By James only, getting my vest signed by Walter Hill wasnt really a 1st thought until he was standing 5 ft from me...and that goes for the other cast members.

And the ajax lizzie photos...didnt think about it.

But what an amazing evening...

8)

CAN YOU DIG IT

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Last edited by CAN YOU DIG IT on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dud

Post by Dud »

Hey CYDI, nice review. A really interesting read, and some nice pictures there. I might also give those videos a look sometime, I'm sure they will be a good watch. It's good to hear you had a good time and sorted those signatures out.

Thanks for sharing man! 8)

LIER ONE

Post by LIER ONE »

GREAT review CYDI! It's great that there is video of this (and it just happened this Friday) and we STILL don't have the video of CONCLAVE 09. PFFFFFFFFF!!!!! I would have loved to get the other sigs I needed. James Remar needs to "come home" here to Coney.

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Once again u r da man CYDI. The videos so quick are awesome. Thanks for sharing the photos and vids. Proof that it isn't impossible to share, in an amazingly quick time.

CAN YOU DIG IT

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Heres the 2nd Q&A after the screening, Minus Walter Hill

Enjoy...

Part : 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMHM9Z3ZUs

Part : 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8bOSM7jow

Part : 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTU0-JIhQ08

Part : 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TntWHRXuWc

Part : 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8M1PPsfHNc

So over 70min of Q&A footage total...

Not a bad way to start the new warriors year...

Like James Remar said...

"WARRIORS FOREVER" !!!

triscender

Post by triscender »

whoaa this is effin awesomee bro!!! i wish i was there

CAN YOU DIG IT

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Here's the email from David Patrick Kelly, read to The New Beverly Cinema on Jan 28th 2011

Enjoy..

Jan. 28th, 2011 The Wanderers

With guests for the Warriors; Walter Hill, Larry Gordon, Frank Marshall, James Remar & Joel Weiss.

With a message from David Patrick Kelly.

“Hello Edgar ,

Really wish I could be there with you all. Thanks for inviting me. I’m opening a new play about Death Row inmates and as you sit there I’m onstage in Times Square.

…a few free associations about The Warriors…

They say ‘Never judge your character’…I broke that rule…Luther was evil and I wanted to make him so…Walter told me to think of Richard III…I based him on a particular alleged gangster from my old neighborhood and several people connected with the rock and roll business from my club days

…Some favorite things…Joel Weiss as Cropsey who looked like a cross between a Bowery Boy and a Ramone…the late great Paul Greco as leader of the Orphans

…Things I was reading and watching and listening to…Anabasis by Xenophon…Last Exit To Brooklyn by Hubert Selby…Hells Angels by Hunter Thompson…Down These Mean Streets by Piri Thomas…videos by Martine Barrat ( she had a show at the Whitney at the time called “You Do The Crime You Do The Time”, a great photographer)…the band Television’s Marquee Moon

…I read an interview with Walter once where he said that most of his films are Westerns so I like that Luther ended up having an Apache headband AND a Sheriff’s star.…thanks to Walter for directing me, like the post-modern John Ford he is , in all my favorite film roles…thanks to Remar for being a great art comrade all these years…thanks to Marshall for getting Luther’s costume to me…I wore the boots til they fell apart but I still have everything else.…and great thanks to all the Warriors fans…somebody wrote at the time that it somehow represented the dispossessed…I like that.

Peace,
David Patrick Kelly

AWESOME...

LIER ONE

Post by LIER ONE »

It's amazing a lot of them have their outfits still. Thanks for that CYDI.

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Amazing stories from the Q & A, all fans should watch these to get a behind the movie trivia. This is great as good or even better than the DVD extras. Thanks again CYDI!

CAN YOU DIG IT

Post by CAN YOU DIG IT »

Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Damn these videos are great! The stories and the info are what all of us fans have been wanting. Thanks CYDI.