Is it true in Europe that there are no commercials on TV?

Lounge around and chat about shows on the box.
CleonWarlord

Post by CleonWarlord »

I am just wondering.

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is it true in Europe that there are no commercials on TV?

Post by War Chief »

I think this is only true for the UK and here it is only on BBC TV channels. However, if a family owns a TV, they must pay an annual TV licence of around £120 (I think) and so there are no commercials.

Other channels have commercials but it is not as rampant as I have seen in the USA. A 30 minute show will have one ad break of 2-3 minutes. An hour long show generally has two or three breaks. An episode of the Simpsons takes 25-30 minutes here, whilst an episode I saw in the USA lasted about 45!
The one and only!

the wigan warrior
Warrior

Post by the wigan warrior »

I wish it was, i really do hate adverts/commercials. There are some what make me laugh like the Carlsberg ones or that one with that man singing that song in all them vehicles, like boats, cars, baloons etc.

But the commercials i hate the most are the insurance ones :evil: injury lawyers 4 u!!! grrrr
And that one where that woman falls over accidently on purpose so she can get compensation!
And that Frosties ad with that kid singing "there gona taste great"  :x :evil: i hate him!

I don't know about other parts of Europe, but we do get them here :( unfortunately.
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/66ext/2wfn1qu.jpg[/img]

Coney Island Baby

Post by Coney Island Baby »

Yeah, I think that Frosties ad is driving everyone mad at the moment. :x

'If you live in Oz mate, or the Empire State.....' :roll:

Some adverts are quite funny, but the majority are just annoying. And they do have adverts in the rest of Europe, because you get those shows that are compilations of funny adverts from around the world and alot of them come from Europe. ;)

the wigan warrior
Warrior

I was in Lanzarote last October and during this kid show what i was watching (i was bored),
they had this skin care advert on and the women had ther breast showing and i was like  :shock:. if that was over here you would only see her legs and face.
Is there anyone else here who lives in a country where nude people appear in adverts?

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Post by War Chief »

Coney Island Baby wrote: Yeah, I think that Frosties ad is driving everyone mad at the moment. :x

Some adverts are quite funny, but the majority are just annoying. And they do have adverts in the rest of Europe, because you get those shows that are compilations of funny adverts from around the world and alot of them come from Europe. ;)
I thought I was the only one going mad. This is the worst, most annoying TV ad ever! They really struggled trying to find words to rhyme with great.

"If you live in a crate, or the Empire State" ... what garbage. Apparently the advert is now infamous in the UK, and you can watch it on You Tube here. This critical analysis is also pretty amusing and raises some good points ... here.
Last edited by War Chief on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The one and only!

Oddity

Post by Oddity »

Yeah that frosties advert drives me mad, i also hate the ribena advert with the kid jumping off the diving board in those big pants. :evil:
"I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle" - Greatest line of all time

[img]http://www.horrortalk.com/reviews/HitchHiker/HH20.jpg[/img]

the wigan warrior
Warrior

I just showed my brother that frosties thing you found WC, and he said that the kid who wa in it is dead :shock: when i asked how he knew he said it was on the news and everyone at his school are talking about it... can anybody check to see if this is true?

War Chief
Administrator
Administrator

Post by War Chief »

I've also heard the rumours but nothing is confirmed, but many theories. It's bad taste of them to continue to run the advert if true. It's bad taste of them to continue to run the advert if not true. I didn't realise how big this thing is. There are so many versions of the video on You Tube. Just watched a gangsta rapping one. Funny stuff. There are also subliminal messages in the advert which are quite amusing.
Last edited by War Chief on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The one and only!

Coney Island Baby

Post by Coney Island Baby »

War Chief wrote:
Coney Island Baby wrote: Yeah, I think that Frosties ad is driving everyone mad at the moment. :x

I thought I was the only one going mad. This is the worst, most annoying TV ad ever! They really struggled trying to find words to rhyme with great.

"If you live in a crate, or the Empire State" ... what garbage. Apparently the advert is now infamous in the UK, and you can watch it on You Tube here. This critical analysis is also pretty amusing and raises some good points ... here.
Thanks for those links, that second one was well funny. :lol:

It's just a playground rumour that he's dead, if it was true it would've been on the news and in the papers and they would've pulled the ad. Some of the rumours on his alleged death are funny though, like the rumour that he was dying and his last wish was to be in a Frosties ad. Yeah, 'cos that's every boy's dream. :roll: He also looks quite energetic for someone on his deathbed. Another funny rumour is that some kids killed him, but made him sing the song first. :lol:

The truth is Radio 1 contacted Kellogg's about the rumours and were told that the kid is very much alive and living in South Africa, which is just as well 'cos I don't think he'd last a day at school over here.

By the way, I have to admit, after viewing all those clips on You Tube, I think I'm actually starting to appreciate the awfulness of it. All together now 'They're gonna taste great.....'Image

cowboy rules

Post by cowboy rules »

Coney Island Baby wrote:
War Chief wrote:

I know what you mean about the school. And not even in schools, in the street lol. I know if I saw him I would have to restrain myself from throwing something at him.....Argh I hate that ad so much Lol

Thanks for those links, that second one was well funny. :lol:

It's just a playground rumour that he's dead, if it was true it would've been on the news and in the papers and they would've pulled the ad. Some of the rumours on his alleged death are funny though, like the rumour that he was dying and his last wish was to be in a Frosties ad. Yeah, 'cos that's every boy's dream. :roll: He also looks quite energetic for someone on his deathbed. Another funny rumour is that some kids killed him, but made him sing the song first. :lol:

The truth is Radio 1 contacted Kellogg's about the rumours and were told that the kid is very much alive and living in South Africa, which is just as well 'cos I don't think he'd last a day at school over here.

By the way, I have to admit, after viewing all those clips on You Tube, I think I'm actually starting to appreciate the awfulness of it. All together now 'They're gonna taste great.....'Image
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/stevend06/resiz1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/stevend06/Untitled-2.gif[/img]

"Those were some desperatre dudes! Hey...so was we!!"
"I had sex last night....WITH A GIRL!!!!"

Lion

Post by Lion »

I don't mind some commercials, though some are just pathetic, specially the local ones!!!
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/METALTANK/squares.jpg[/img]