Why all the running?

Forum for new members to introduce themselves.
dukane

Why all the running?

Post by dukane »

Hi all,

Rented the DVD & watched the film for 1st time since 1979 or 1980, and was highly entertained. While it's not the most well-written/filmed/acted movie I've ever seen, it was very entertaining ... not least because I'm now back living in NYC, this time in Brooklyn, and can actually recognize alot of locales from the film. (In 1980 I was 12y/o & living in Southern California.)

Anyway, my question: does anyone else agree that for the 1st half of the film, The Warriors seem to run from almost every confrontation? I was definitely expecting them to literally fight their way home every inch of the way, so was disappointed a bit when they ran away 3 or 4 times before finally fighting the Baseball Furies in the park. (The Molotov cocktail thrown at The Orphans doesn't really count as fighting, if you ask me ... it was just a diversion that allowed them to run.)

Again, I loved the movie & look forward to seeing it again soon.

Cheers,
I started out on Burgundy, but soon hit the harder stuff...

Jensen66

Re: Why all the running?

Post by Jensen66 »

Well, one of the reasons I like this movie is because it is reasonably realistic...
Try to think, If you were there with the Warriors and had to go all the way to home trying to survive, would you fight with every enemy a long the way or would you rather try to avoid them and get home safe. If you have no choice, than you fight, but otherwise is much more realistic that you don't. Particularly if the enemy outnumbers you...

P.S. Wellcome ....  :D
Last edited by Jensen66 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

back2coney

Post by back2coney »

dukane wrote: Hi all,

Rented the DVD & watched the film for 1st time since 1979 or 1980, and was highly entertained. While it's not the most well-written/filmed/acted movie I've ever seen, it was very entertaining ... not least because I'm now back living in NYC, this time in Brooklyn, and can actually recognize alot of locales from the film. (In 1980 I was 12y/o & living in Southern California.)

Anyway, my question: does anyone else agree that for the 1st half of the film, The Warriors seem to run from almost every confrontation? I was definitely expecting them to literally fight their way home every inch of the way, so was disappointed a bit when they ran away 3 or 4 times before finally fighting the Baseball Furies in the park. (The Molotov cocktail thrown at The Orphans doesn't really count as fighting, if you ask me ... it was just a diversion that allowed them to run.)

Cheers,

Well ym opinion is that they want to make it back in one piece. Without running they left them selves open to plenty of fights without weapons.....thats the only thing, they had little defense - except for their little legs.
" Real tough mothers ain't ya! "

[img]http://looksy.co.uk/files/images/rare22_1_0.jpg[/img]

the renegade

Post by the renegade »

back2coney is right
It's over!

flew to high

Post by flew to high »

Well if their was no running they would have been wrecked by the turnbuuls easily they were some desperate dudes. Seriously though every other gang was packing and there were just to out numbered to fight every one.

Green_Shirt_Guy

Post by Green_Shirt_Guy »

Agree with what has been said. It can't be only about flexing muscle. Sure that it would be cool to see the Warriors in kamikaze mode fighting every gang in town but for the sake of realism the story is better as it is.
'You see what you get, Warriors? You see what you get when you mess with the Orphans?'

stevo2k6

Post by stevo2k6 »

Green_Shirt_Guy wrote: Agree with what has been said. It can't be only about flexing muscle. Sure that it would be cool to see the Warriors in kamikaze mode fighting every gang in town but for the sake of realism the story is better as it is.
i agree with you pal, a gang of 8 cudnt rumble with all the gangs in one night
S.Ritson

charlie_fisher

Post by charlie_fisher »

its best to run than fight isnt it?thet wanted to get home...all right they could have beated up the orphans but what was the point really?might as well run eh?

PowerPaulie

Post by PowerPaulie »

Welcome man.

Yeah...you can't fight every gang and expect to come out of it alive...did you notice how many turnbull ac's where in the bus? I think it would have become a shortfilm if there had been a fight with the turnbull ac's :)
I can't make it!
You sure?
Yeah, I'm sure.
Good... I'm sick of running from these wimps.

Enter-Sandman

Post by Enter-Sandman »

Well the running does add a little suspense, kinda annoys me a little.

But you can't fight every gang you come across, remember films are limited to 3 hours maximum.
S*** , The chicks are packed , the chicks are packed!

Lion

Post by Lion »

Cheers,

Gee, let me think, the biggest gang in New York just gave the order to bring you and your gang to them dead or alive.  Regardless your are going to die.  Gangs with bats, sticks, chains, knives, guns, etc. are looking for you or chasing you, and you still ask why they run?  I am sure you would the 1st to run if you were there, I know I would.
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/METALTANK/squares.jpg[/img]

Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

LIONS ON THE RED CARPET wrote:

Cheers,

Gee, let me think, the biggest gang in New York just gave the order to bring you and your gang to them dead or alive.  Regardless your are going to die.  Gangs with bats, sticks, chains, knives, guns, etc. are looking for you or chasing you, and you still ask why they run?  I am sure you would the 1st to run if you were there, I know I would.
Well we'll have to simulate sometime. Lions, you got any bats in the shed? :badgrin: :badgrin:
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/Vermin_2_2/jigsawnewagain.jpg?t=1187719042[/img]
Jigsaw is down to: fight, lie, cheat, steal, earth ;)

*AJAX*

Post by *AJAX* »

I really wished the warriors didnt run away so much. I wanted to see the orphans get beat because i know the warriors could take-em, and it would be fun to watch because their out numbered by a bunch. :twisted:

*AJAX*

Post by *AJAX* »

on that note, i noticed at the warriors confrontation with orphans that wene they were wanting to fight them....snow just had a molotive like it poped out of nowere. (or mabye he found it on the ground)

SnowGlycerine

Post by SnowGlycerine »

*AJAX* wrote: on that note, i noticed at the warriors confrontation with orphans that wene they were wanting to fight them....snow just had a molotive like it poped out of nowere. (or mabye he found it on the ground)
Good point, but Snow actually had that bottle since the beginning of the film, I believe it was part of wanting to be accurate from the book.  One of the characters (I can't remember which one, I'll post it after I check the book again) carried a bottle of liquor (you know, for that liquid courage), and the other members all took a sip from said bottle to prepare themselves for battle.  Even though no one took a sip in the movie, Snow maintained possession of it from the start, check back to the deleted scene done in the daytime when Cleon had rounded them up.

Even in one of the deleted scenes, the one where they were walking through the graveyard I believe, there was so much bickering between them.  The events of the movie seemed to bring them together, as mentioned, and near the end, it seemed like they had that attitude of 'we're not gonna take it anymore' when they got to the Rogues...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/girlglycerine/eabb1f1b.jpg[/img]
You better tell everyone who did this to you!!!! -Snow