Anyone besides me "STUCK IN THE 80s"

Hook up with other people who love music!

Re: Anyone besides me

Postby nightarmyWARRIOR » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm not born in the 80's but I am definitely stuck in the 80's! Music, movies, life... Everything was great! Music is the best in the 80's and better than some today's crap. Hip hop, disco, rock...
nightarmyWARRIOR

Postby DonnaMC » Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 am

Holy crap

80s pop was pretty bad.

I was listening to Iron Maidens Powerslave cassette when the space shuttle blew up. Had it on my sony walkman in school as the news was on.

Went to plenty of concerts back then. Saw Def Leppard open for Motley Crue, saw Cinderella with Whitesnake, Queensryche opened for Metallica, Just a few weeks before Cliff died Metallica opened for Ozzy Osbourne here. That was sad.

Yngwie Malmsteins Rising Force opened for Lita Ford when I went back in the 80s. Malmstein opened again for AC/DC when I went. When I saw Guns N Roses they were performing with Aerosmith. I had seen Judas Priest with Megadeth , Ronnie James Dio and Alice Cooper.

WASP and Kiss were here on New Years Eve 1985 into 1986. It was awsome. WASP was better then Kiss at that concert I think.

But for me at least 80s pop was just well ..... awful.
DonnaMC

Postby 4nik8 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:00 am

Post embarrassing, big-hair 80s pics immediately!
*****CI CONCLAVE '09*****
---Apache----Fox------Snow---Cleon---Vermin----Swan-----------4nik8...WHO?!?
4nik8

Postby ILLER... » Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 am

wnenever i have a few beers and get hyped ill start watching cliff live stuff on youtube. watched him do pulling teeth about 4 times just last night. anyway, filled w/ jealous rage.
surprised not to find ratt, rush or japan on your list.
ILLER...

Postby Cochese » Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 am

ILLER... wrote:wnenever i have a few beers and get hyped ill start watching cliff live stuff on youtube. watched him do pulling teeth about 4 times just last night. anyway, filled w/ jealous rage.
surprised not to find ratt, rush or japan on your list.

Did anyone like Rush in the 80s (except me, perhaps)? Ratt were the bollox! Very different to Ratt are bollocks!
Don't f**k with The Wongs!
Cochese

Postby Cochese » Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 am

DonnaMC wrote:Holy crap

80s pop was pretty bad.

I was listening to Iron Maidens Powerslave cassette when the space shuttle blew up. Had it on my sony walkman in school as the news was on.

Went to plenty of concerts back then. Saw Def Leppard open for Motley Crue, saw Cinderella with Whitesnake, Queensryche opened for Metallica, Just a few weeks before Cliff died Metallica opened for Ozzy Osbourne here. That was sad.

Yngwie Malmsteins Rising Force opened for Lita Ford when I went back in the 80s. Malmstein opened again for AC/DC when I went. When I saw Guns N Roses they were performing with Aerosmith. I had seen Judas Priest with Megadeth , Ronnie James Dio and Alice Cooper.

WASP and Kiss were here on New Years Eve 1985 into 1986. It was awsome. WASP was better then Kiss at that concert I think.

But for me at least 80s pop was just well ..... awful.

Had the pleasure of meeting Cliff and he signed my s**t! (Kept 'em to this day!) Saw 'em on the Master Of Puppets tour! They smoked! Wish I'd seen 'em on one of their earlier tours, when they were at their raw best. R.I.P. Cliff!

Love Cinderella too! Promoted an amazing show for them last year in London! Queensryche are also amazing! Saw G'N'R play the Marquee Club (cap. 400) all three nights, when they play here in June '87 - those were shows were THE BEST!!! Not really into the tribute band they've become :(

AC/DC? There are no words to describe their brilliance!!!

What was your first Rock/Metal show?
Don't f**k with The Wongs!
Cochese

Postby DonnaMC » Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Yea I was sort of into the hair band thing. Pop never was any good back then.

I actually met Ronnie Dio , he was a nice man and very polite.

He walks up after the concert, shakes my hand and says

Hello, I'm Ronnie James Dio, thank you for attending tonights performance I hope you enjoyed it. And your name is ? "

He was a nice man, little man with a big voice.
Last edited by DonnaMC on Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DonnaMC

Postby DonnaMC » Mon May 21, 2012 1:48 pm

I have to be in the right mood for Rush. I'm [*]sort of neutral on the band. They aren't bad but not good enough t buy any off their music. Ratt I always saw as wanna bees. They try too hard to look act and talk but just seem to lack .... something.

When I was about 9 years old or so, the radio station here had a contest, call in and win tickets, the usul thing. I called in on our crap rotery phone and actually got through. They gave me tickets to see Kiss and Cheap Trick live at The Cow Palace here in San Francisco. Bear in mind this was late 1977. I had no way to get there aside from my folks who would never as th allow me to go. I cut a deal with the neighbor who was in high school and she was 17 with a car of her own. I lied to my mother and s was spending the night at a friends house. Instead I went to see Kiss. All I really remeber is the confetti that fell from the rooftop and the crowd chanting cheap shit as cheap trick played before Kiss came out. That was my first concert.

I just see all these posts about 80s bubble gum pop and it tells me that somewhere , for some reason The Safety Dance lives. Just not here.
Last edited by DonnaMC on Mon May 21, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnaMC

Postby ILLER... » Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm

shall we turn this into a 'First Concert' thread? mine was janes addiction at the universal amphitheater at universal city walk/studios. i wanna say i was 15/16, don't remember really. i blame drugs and alcohol. i also saw bare titties in the flesh as opposed to on tv that night thanks to the topless gogo dancers on stage.
ILLER...

Postby Ninth Delegate » Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm

DonnaMC wrote:I just see all these posts about 80s bubble gum pop and it tells me that somewhere , for some reason The Safety Dance lives. Just not here.

I have a cover version of that by the Donnas on my mp3 player (I still refuse to own any product made by Apple)

I attended an 80's weekend last week. Saw a few original artists perform, albeit podgy and balding. Kid Creole still got some moves (and fortunatly some younger coconuts).

I was into various genres during my school years. Didn't follow the fashion or hairstyles but had a phase of new romantics/electro pop (Depeche mode, Thompson twins, Howard Jones, Duran Duran ect) whilst at the same time being into Iron Maiden (followed them since the Metal for muthas album was released in 80). Twisted sister was regularly rotated on my stylus. Was big into the breakdance scene. Still have my streetsounds electro collection. Marshall Mathers can go screw himself; Melle Mel was the first and best M&M of the rap world.
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/shaunographic/warriorssig.jpg[/IMG]
Laziness is a skill that must be practiced everyday.
Ninth Delegate

Postby DonnaMC » Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Never got into rap. It was just noise to me. I remember all the fights kids would get into once someone said soul sucks or rock sucks. And the big deal it was when Aerosmith did walk this way with Run DMC. Aerosmith made their best music when they were high on cocaine. They haven't done anything good since the Done with Mirrors album. And even that record is hit and miss. I've matured somewhat since thoes days. I own a lot of records not cds, vinyl albums. Frank sinatra, aretha franklin, james brown, ike and tina turner and so on. As well as Metallica, The Who, Pink Floyd. Hells bells I was listening to Prince's Purple Rain just yesterday on the drive to work. Todays music just sounds all the same to me. Nobody is doing anything even remotely interesting to me.
Just last week I went and saw Rodger Waters perform Pink Floyd : The Wall in its entirity at AT&T Park. Right on the Giants baseball field. The younger generation has no clue who or what its about.

Maybe I'm just getting old
DonnaMC

Postby nightarmyWARRIOR » Tue May 22, 2012 6:14 pm

DonnaMC wrote:And the big deal it was when Aerosmith did walk this way with Run DMC.

One of the best songs from Run-D.M.C.

And of course Aerosmith and Run-D.M.C. have made great compilation together. Best times ever.
nightarmyWARRIOR

Postby DonnaMC » Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 am

I wasn't really impressed with it. I thought it was just an attempt by aging rock stars to jump start an otherwise dead career.

I think run from run dmc is now a religious pastor or something. One of them is dead I think and I lost track of the other.
Had to giive it up for michael jackson for his mini movie Thriller. I was NEVER a michael jackson fan. But the thriller video movie was a brillant idea. I still remember watching Mtv on Halloween night when it first aired in 1983. Back then Mtv used to be somewhat relevant.

The Friday Night Video Fights
Mtv Closet Classics - saw awsome videos of Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and even Janis Joplin.
Saturday Night Concerts, I watched Alice Cooper and even The Go Gos in concert on that show.
Actually playing music videos. Mtv strayed from the original idea somewhere around 1988. Around then was when I gave up on Mtv. They just quit being relevant. I remember Mtv giving away a tabletop Pac-Man video game, then a Ms Pac-Man game.. another contest they did was someone would win an all expense paid trip to London England to see the premire of Pink Floyd The Wall. I sent in hundreds of postcards hoping to win, I didn't win either contest.

In the first year or so Mtv wasn't even a 24 hour channel. They would go off the air at midnight. Then id turn on my Atari 2600 and play missle command all night, put on USA UP ALL NIGHT with Gilbert Godfrey since he'd always run some low budget B movie full of cheese or watch Night Tracks. The 80s had weird stuff like that.
DonnaMC

Postby nightarmyWARRIOR » Wed May 23, 2012 7:33 pm

DonnaMC wrote:I wasn't really impressed with it. I thought it was just an attempt by aging rock stars to jump start an otherwise dead career.

I think run from run dmc is now a religious pastor or something. One of them is dead I think and I lost track of the other.

Yeah, Run is a practicing minister. Jam-Master Jay, their DJ, is unfortunately dead. DMC is not very much active in music in past few years but it I read somewhere that his second solo album has been delayed back in summer of 2010.

Do you like Run-D.M.C.?
nightarmyWARRIOR

Postby DonnaMC » Wed May 23, 2012 11:26 pm

He was shot so I read somewhere. Someone killed him outsude their studio.

I never liked run dmc, the only rap I liked was Debbie Harry rapping in the Blondie song ... Rapture
DonnaMC

PreviousNext

Return to The Radio Station [Music Chat]